Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nepomuk Sees Major Improvements In KDE 4.10

Phoronix: Nepomuk Sees Major Improvements In KDE 4.10

Nepomuk has undergone a number of exciting improvements for this social semantic desktop searchable framework with the new features being christened in KDE 4.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE 4.10 will be a very nice release, the only thing I'm still missing is a good RAW editor....

Comment

Can I offer even a better improvement than everything's been done before?

Let's remove nepumok and other semantic desktop features. They hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Halleluiah, brother!

Comment

Thats why there is a check-box called "Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop" for people like you

Comment

There's nothing INNATELY wrong with a semantic desktop (ex: a desktop that allows tagging, rates, file indexing / searching), its only the implementation that can be wrong. And "wrong" usually means its slow or buggy. Hence this work to fix Nepomuk.

A few points though

1) Yes you can turn it off for "people like you" System Settings > Desktop Search > Uncheck the first checkbox

2) Kickoff needs Krunner (and by extension Nepomuk) integration, seriously.

3) There needs to be a system tray applet that links into krunner for quick search like Apple Spotlight. I know you can do it via Alt-f2 but thats not very obvious and easily forgettable. A search icon in the systray however is more noticeable and more direct.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin View Post
              Thats why there is a check-box called "Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop" for people like you
              Which can't be enabled if you want fully functional KMail... Which is probably still the best, full featured, GUI mail client for Linux.

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              3) There needs to be a system tray applet that links into krunner for quick search like Apple Spotlight. I know you can do it via Alt-f2 but thats not very obvious and easily forgettable. A search icon in the systray however is more noticeable and more direct.
              You have search option in KMenu too, besides, Alt+F2 combination is standard on basically all desktop environments (Enlightment, Gnome, KDE, XFCE), not knowing it is like not knowing about Alt+F4...
              Last edited by tomato; 01 February 2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
                You have search option in KMenu too, besides, Alt+F2 combination is standard on basically all desktop environments (Enlightment, Gnome, KDE, XFCE), not knowing it is like not knowing about Alt+F4...
                Kickoff's search actually doesnt link into nepomuk (atleast on my system, if it does on yours please explain how) and an email regarding integrating Krunner (and by extension then, Nepomuk) into Kickoff was answered with "Someone would need to implement it" and nothing more.

And do you really think its that common? ive only ever used KDE basically since 4.0 and I didnt really learn about alt-f2 for Krunner until last year and I still forget about it fairly often.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Slow, buggy and resource intensive

Nepomuk is a pig. It's a research project that isn't ready for field trials. Fork the tree from it and work in parallel until it is fully core aware with OpenCL on both the CPU and GPGPU, then put it back in, but keep it optional for folks on older systems and weak GPGPUs.

It never should have been turned on by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    Nepomuk is a pig.
                    I can't tell. Maybe my computer isn't slow enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X