Lennart Poettering Takes To Battling Systemd Myths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    ...it cant be bloated because bloated implies that things are forced. Is the kernel bloated?
    Yes, the kernel is bloated. Why do you ask?

Comment

He said he'd EVENTUALLY remove support for non-systemd. People always forget the "EVENTUALLY." Once people started freaking out he clarified that it was not a short-term goal by any means and would only happen once systemd was THE standard in the linux ecosystem and there WERE no competitors TO support.
      It should not be a goal at all. Having the udev maintainer and systemd maintainer be the same person is a recipe for disaster. Untenable situation in my opinion. Obviously, the temptation to leverage udev to accelerate the demise of systemd competitors must be strong, and chances are, irresistable.

Comment

Major distros who are using SysV?

Gentoo, Slackware, Debian (Im leaving RHEL + its clones out of this because RHEL7 uses systemd)

Major distros using Upstart?

Ubuntu, (+derivatives, but basically Ubuntu.)

Everyone else? systemd
        Sounds like the preponderance of "everyone else" is "Red Hat".

Comment

Originally posted by balouba View Post
          ...systemd's biggest dep is indeed, dbus....
          dbus is, by far, the least reliable component on my workstation. Goes into 100% CPU way more times than is comfortable for me. Not the only reliability or performance issue, far from it. The fact that systemd is intimately tied to it is hardly a stellar recommendation.

Comment

"My recommendation for distros who want udev without the rest of systemd
            is to build systemd normally and just pick the files you are interested
            in from "make install"" -- Lennart Poettering

Arrogant does not begin to describe this attitude.

Comment

Lennart Poettering LOL...

Listening to all the Linux kiddies crying over the clusterfuck that is Linux the development process and architecture thanks to incompetent clowns like Lennart Poettering is absolutely hilarious.

So glad I dumped Linux for a real Unix system like FreeBSD.

Comment

This is the dillweed that has been pushing PA down everyones throat. If he pushes out other projects anything like he pushed out pulse then we are all in for some slow ass buggy crap.

I don't think he is smart enough to know the difference between myth and fact.... In his mind if he thinks it then its fact and if you disagree then its myth.... So anything that you disagree with he is going to try and debunk as a myth.

And I don't know why people keep saying that you can build udev by itself.. You can't you have to build the whole thing and then pick out the udev bits.
                Last edited by duby229; 27 January 2013, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by danielbot View Post
                  Sounds like the preponderance of "everyone else" is "Red Hat".
                  Arch Linux, OpenSuse, Frugalware, Mageia, Mandrake, Fedora, and with the release RHEL7 you'll have Scientific Linux, CentOS, RHEL, probably Oracle's Unbreakable kernel, and I wouldnt be surprise if SUSE does it as well.

So yes.

Gentoo and Debian have OpenRC & sysV respectively.
                  Ubuntu and its derivatives use Upstart
                  Everyone else...systemd.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    This is the dillweed that has been pushing PA down everyones throat. If he pushes out other projects anything like he pushed out pulse then we are all in for some slow ass buggy crap.
                    He didn't push pulseaudio down everyones throat. Ubuntu decided to be an early adopter and packaged a less than ideal config and so it became the quasi-standard way too early.

Also, if someone creates multiple projects which end up being picked up for the default configuration of most bigger distributions because it works better than the alternatives chances are, you're not more intelligent than him.

Comment

Originally posted by danielbot View Post
                      Yes, the kernel is bloated. Why do you ask?
                      Kernel's not really that bloated... I mean could it use SOME trimming, sure, but everything is optional and all drivers are modules.

Unless youre one of those guys that get angry over KMS in which case...really, get over it. KMS works the best, you get the best performance. The only downside to KMS is graphics drivers can cause a kernel crash. But those stability issues should hopefully be sorted out by the open source nature of the drivers. These aren't closed-source blobs that we can't fix problems with. If there's a crash or problem we CAN fix them.
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X