FreeBSD 8.0 Benchmarked Against Linux, OpenSolaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
    I dont know how to make OpenSolaris run in 32bit mode. It chooses the correct version upon boot. If the cpu is 64 bit, then it boots in 64 bit mode.
    Ok, thanks.

Comment

Booting into 32-bit mode on a 64-bit proc can be done as so listed here:

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Booting into 32-bit mode on a 64-bit proc can be done as so listed here:

http://blogs.sun.com/alta/entry/boot_into_32_bit_kernel
        Ok, thank you Deanjo.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Ok, thank you Deanjo.
          No problem, it just happened to be in one of my rarely used bookmark folders (the one called solaris).

Comment

hi,

Can author of the article confirm that Solaris was running in 32bit ?

OpenSSL RSA 4096-bit test is a bit suspect!

-thanks-

Comment

Originally posted by xosevp View Post
              hi,

Can author of the article confirm that Solaris was running in 32bit ?

OpenSSL RSA 4096-bit test is a bit suspect!

-thanks-
              These results should be expected as the OpenSSL that comes with OpenSolaris uses the Crypto Framework.

Comment

Here is a SAP benchmark on 32 cores, which is more interesting for benching scalability and large scale systems for Enterprises. Solaris 10 is 25% faster than Linux, using slower CPUs. Remember, this is not OpenSolaris which is in alpha stage. But it is S10 which is sharp released OS. However, S10 will be replaced with modern OpenSolaris. It will kill everything, when done.

Solaris: 8 CPU, 32 cores. 2.6 GHz
                Linux: 8 CPU, 32 cores. 2.8 GHz
                Windows: same setup as Linux

See the official pdf benchmark from SAP website here.

The problem is utilization. Solaris is close to 100% utilization on all cores. Windows is down to 87% utilization on all cores. In other words: Windows doesnt scale to well. Nor does Linux. The cores are not fully pegged. Solaris cores are fully pegged so scales better: 25% faster than Linux, on slower hardware. 21% faster than Windows, on slower hw.

Comment

Originally posted by drdoug007 View Post
                  These results should be expected as the OpenSSL that comes with OpenSolaris uses the Crypto Framework.
                  Such results shouldn't be expected, because Linux and *BSD also have this.

@Kebbabert

I believe nobody's interested in Suns propaganda. You say Windows scale better then Linux... However, you proved few times you're a troll, so your posts can be safely ignored. Second time on an ingore list.
                  Last edited by kraftman; 15 December 2009, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    @Kebbabert

I believe nobody's interested in Suns propaganda.
                    But SAP has validated and approved those benchmarks. The benchmarks are checked and certified by SAP. On the "SUN propaganda web page" there are links further to SAPs home page showing those certifications. I copy & paste those links for you, because you do not believe links on SUN web page. Here are those links, they are not on SUN web page anymore, those links are now free and "cleansed" from SUN propaganda:

Windows certified SAP result on 32 cores, from SAP home page:

Linux certified SAP result on 32 cores, from SAP home page:

We see that Linux only achieves 87% utilization on the cores. This shows that Linux does not handle many cores well, on a single machine.

Solaris certified SAP result on 32 cores, from SAP home page:

I understand that if SUN links to those white papers, you guys dismiss those white papers as "propaganda". But if SAP hosts those white papers, then it is not SUN propaganda anymore. Then it is maybe SAP propaganda.

Or, maybe SUN should not have pointed to those links. Instead SUN should have waited until you guys discovered them by yourself. If you discover that white paper by yourself, then you could not accuse them of being SUN propaganda. If SUN links, then that link is useless propaganda. The trick is that SUN must not link. But how will we discover that link, if no one points them out?

In hind sight, I should have pointed to those white papers on SAP web page myself. Then you guys could not have accused them of being SUN propaganda. Next time, I will not point to SUN web page (that points to the benchmark/white paper). Instead, I will point to the white paper/benchmark directly myself.
                    Last edited by kebabbert; 14 December 2009, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Oops, my bad. The CPUs are six core, not quad core. So all machines have 8 CPUs and 48 cores. Which is clearly stated if you closer read the white paper on SAP home page.

Comment

Working...
                      X