Radeon Driver On XMir Still Is Messy Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    The reason why they decided to do that is not really known. Possibly ignorance, possibly lack of proper dialogue with the community, possibly in order to gain more influence and/or money... Maybe all of them combined.

And no, NVIDIA stated that they didn't support Wayland a few years back, because it wasn't ready yet. Currently there has been no information on whether they consider Wayland to be important enough to support or not. Also note that if they don't support Wayland, they don't support Mir either. And vice versa, if they support Wayland, they support Mir. It's only EGL that is needed for the support of both (there's one more extension that would be nice to have for Wayland, but that can be worked around in software).
    Aah, thanks for making that clear I thought the drivers themselves would have to support either or both of them. But it all comes down to EGL, okay!

So now we have 2 different display servers that really does exactly the same thing..? *facepalm*

Comment

i finally had a change to test mir on a laptop with a core2duo+ati hd4500, i had a very positive experience...
      im not gonna lie theres a few bugs (moustly on games but should be fixed soon) the thing i noticed is that the laptop runs alot cooler its not crashing from overheating so offten like it used to wich is great!

BTW this was tested with ubuntu 13.10 + mir ppa with kernel 3.10, so no its not cooler from the dpm thats comming with 3.11
      i cant wait to have both mir and 3.11 with dpm enabled, will finally be able to use my laptop with linux!

Comment

Originally posted by birdstream View Post
        Aah, thanks for making that clear I thought the drivers themselves would have to support either or both of them. But it all comes down to EGL, okay!

So now we have 2 different display servers that really does exactly the same thing..? *facepalm*
        This is really the root of the issue that people have really. If you are a developer and want to support both Mir and Wayland natively, then you need to write in support for both of them separately, or just simply stick with X. I think most people would just choose to stick with X...

While device support for both is simple, Application support for both isnt. X is the least common denominator. I think Mir is effectively going to hold linux desktop technology back by several years.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          This is really the root of the issue that people have really. If you are a developer and want to support both Mir and Wayland natively, then you need to write in support for both of them separately, or just simply stick with X. I think most people would just choose to stick with X...

While device support for both is simple, Application support for both isnt. X is the least common denominator. I think Mir is effectively going to hold linux desktop technology back by several years.
          Well, thanks to toolkits, it won't be *that* big of a problem. But it will be in isolated cases, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
            i finally had a change to test mir on a laptop with a core2duo+ati hd4500, i had a very positive experience...
            im not gonna lie theres a few bugs (moustly on games but should be fixed soon) the thing i noticed is that the laptop runs alot cooler its not crashing from overheating so offten like it used to wich is great!

BTW this was tested with ubuntu 13.10 + mir ppa with kernel 3.10, so no its not cooler from the dpm thats comming with 3.11
            i cant wait to have both mir and 3.11 with dpm enabled, will finally be able to use my laptop with linux!
            I also tested this on my desktop with i7-2700K and NVidia GTX660Ti - still the same nouveau issues with total GPU-lockups (can't even do VT-switching)

Comment

can't say what ETS2 uses though..
              Originally posted by TAXI View Post
              No idea what ETS2 uses, too
              Well, now I know some more: It doesn't ship with SDL and ldd shows no direct linking to it. So most likely it does not use it. On the other hand it also doesn't link directly to GLX, but it links to libX11 and some other X libs.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                i like The Ubuntu Project i just don't like Canonical at all and it's just sad they have power over a project like that and a lot of it's Developers Etc are on Canonical Payroll i say it's Best to use a Linux like Mint just to be on the safe side
                I've been looking at Mint, too. But which one should i go for? Debian-based or Ubuntu-based?

Comment

I've been looking at Mint, too. But which one should i go for? Debian-based or Ubuntu-based?
                  the Debian one is a Rolling release so you may have to do downgrades packages time to time the Ubuntu based one is a little more stable but many like a rolling release install it once and only upgrade packages

Comment

how many of you have Lock ups and i'm talking about Full lock ups even the Kernel Xmir makes my Computer 100% Lock up on Xubuntu and Ubuntu 13.10

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                      how many of you have Lock ups and i'm talking about Full lock ups even the Kernel Xmir makes my Computer 100% Lock up on Xubuntu and Ubuntu 13.10
                      I get total lockups, meaning there is no input response whatsoever. I have to power down or push the reset button on mine. Haven't tried setting up a telnet/ssh server yet to see if i can reach my computer that way..
                      Can't say what's triggering it, either. I can sit for 5 mins or an hour before it happens. Doesn't seem to happen when my computer's idle, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X