No announcement yet.

Radeon Gallium3D Performance Gets Close To Catalyst On Ubuntu 14.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare, not none existant. I didn't have issues besides it being a bit slower then using catalyst with my 6300m.

Comment

Originally posted by bokal View Post
      It's a bit off-topic.

If today, I want to get a computer and use Open Source video drivers, what would be my best bet?
      I need flawless desktop experience (dual screen, KMS, etc...) and light gaming. I'm coding most of the time, but I may fire steam once in a while.

I'm used to intel drivers, which work great. Would HD5200 be any good?

I like the Nvidia 750 Ti, is there any chance that nouveau will make use of its potential in a relatively close future?

AMD Radeon seems the way to go to get the best performances with OS drivers yet, but how is "desktop" support?

Thanks.
      Any modern Intel graphics (4400+) is already overkill for accelerated video and multi monitor desktops.

In games, I got a 7870 (for $140 a few months ago - they aren't worth the ~@$220 - 250 the market rates have them inflated to now, or the 270x) which I run under radeonSI just for the middle-tier gaming. I get a lot of the humble bundles, and my hd4600 runs those just fine, but the 7870 keeps mid range titles like dota2 / tf2 running at 1080/60 with good settings. PRIME works here somewhatish, but running Arch I have several bugs (I can't write custom X .confs to enable Intel tearfree, I can't upgrade to 3.13 because it breaks radeon.ko, etc).

No Nvidia GPU under Nouveau is worth buying. Nothing supports reclocking, so they all will perform at best as good as your integrated. Until they have working DPM you can't consider those parts. And I'd recommend even if the valiant great developers making Nouveau do get to that point to still not buy Nvidia hardware because Nvidia spits in the developers and communities face with minimal support and no payrolled developers working on free drivers. An AMD equivalent would be a 260x / 270 / 7790 / 7850. Something in that range. The 7790 / 260x, though, are newer chipsets and thus depending on your distro might have a questionable working state.
      Last edited by zanny; 04 March 2014, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bokal View Post
        It's a bit off-topic.

If today, I want to get a computer and use Open Source video drivers, what would be my best bet?
        I need flawless desktop experience (dual screen, KMS, etc...) and light gaming. I'm coding most of the time, but I may fire steam once in a while.

I'm used to intel drivers, which work great. Would HD5200 be any good?
        I went through the same process. I needed a desktop for occasional coding, frequent video editing, multimedia and light gaming. My kids play all sorts of Linux Steam games.

I built a Haswell (i5-4670k) based system and I am very happy: graphics work out of the box, 3D is quite nice at 1920x1080 with games such as Portal2, etc. Single threaded performance is tons better than the AMD processor it was replacing, and 4 fast (overclocked, admiteddly) cores give me enough beef for the type of video processing I do (home video movies). Streaming high quality video to the TV with a Chromecast dongle works beautifully.

If you go that route, I recommend fast RAM, becuase it is used by the graphics and it makes a big difference (I tested that). And SSD for / and /home, so you don't bottleneck too much there.

I looked into the AMD APU's, but the downside was the binary catalyst driver and single threaded performance. I think the advantage of the AMD APUs is that you can limbo a lot lower and build a very inexpensive system.

Me? I seem to have enough CPU power for the next few years. I might add an AMD/ATI discrete card in a year or two if needed, assuming Open Source support finally becomes good enough (simplest thing would be for AMD to go open source only like Intel).

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
          firefox + flash 11.2 = flash crash and firefox freeze

chromium + flash 11.2 = flash crash

if I use vdpau with my apu a8 5600k ;(, doesn't work.
          Have you reported the bug? Or at least checked if there is already one filed?

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
            Have you reported the bug? Or at least checked if there is already one filed?
            clearly but they reply " is a flash problem, sorry"

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              Nothing supports reclocking, so they all will perform at best as good as your integrated. Until they have working DPM you can't consider those parts.
              I wouldn't be surprised if some of the nvidia cards are faster than all of the Intel ones, even without reclocking.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post

I looked into the AMD APU's, but the downside was the binary catalyst driver and single threaded performance. I think the advantage of the AMD APUs is that you can limbo a lot lower and build a very inexpensive system.
                APUs (at least Trinity) are where the FOSS drivers shine. At least in comparison to FGLRX 13.x (haven't tested 14.x) I have better performance in most cases with the FOSS driver. This of course with a modern stack with DPM and git Mesa. The single threaded performance is a downside, true.

Comment

If you want a open source driver.... then:
                  Intel - If you want video and low power 3d. Everything is currently nice a stable.
                  AMD graphics card - Now has everything in the latest snapshots. They are still sorting out all the bugs. Their hardware is more powerful than intels, so I would recomend it if you want to do 3d games on linux.
                  AMD APU - Nice cheap option that performs pretty well. Same issue with the drivers are still a rough around the edges. Does video well and will handle moderate 3d graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                    clearly but they reply " is a flash problem, sorry"

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71570
                    I don't think that reply is from one of the amd devs. Have you tried with updated kernal and drivers? I have not seen the issues your talking about although I'm not sure if I'm using acceleration how do I enable it?

Comment

If I've understood things correctly AMD and Microsoft are very buddy buddy at the moment, while Nvidea and Intel are less close. Hence Nvidea's new interest in Linux and the Steam box. Unfortunately I think we might see at best a stagnation if not a reduction in AMD support for Linux as Microsoft will demand their price. Intel I suspect are questioning the value of Microsoft to them. People spend significant sums on Windows operating systems and Xbox's which from Intel's point of view would be better spent on Intel hardware. I doubt Intel are particular keen on Google taking over the world either so I expect their support for Linux to increase. They're a big powerful company with deep profits, they want to get into Mobile so investing in Linux makes a lot of sense for them.

I'm using an HD7790. I use three screens for development. Up until now I just haven't been able to get the desk top to run properly with Radeon.

This probably isn't the right forum for really technical questions, but how do you programme later OpenGL on Linux. I've got a basic OpenGl application up through Glx. But the latest version of GLX is 1.4 which is years old and doesn't seem to support modern OpenGl commands. I've found some tutorials on EGL, but they seem geared towards Windows and Android. Anyway I'm wondering if I should leave OpenGl till I can get a workable KDE frameworks 5 desktop running on Wayland up.

Comment

Working...
                      X