Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New build, first Linux PC, what could go wrong? ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5min edit limit - correction, not 400,000 but around 50,000. The rest is true.
    Find me a toner+drum/laser, that give that bang for a buck plz.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      its still never more than 40-80$/Liter (depending on manufacturer/year time)
      I looked and the cheapest I could find was 100? for a CISS and 70? for a liter of black ink for a random epson printer. Which is about 230$... and my laser toner was about 25 ? IIRC (but I'll check next time I'll have to buy one ).

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
        I looked and the cheapest I could find was 100€ for a CISS and 70€ for a liter of black ink for a random epson printer. Which is about 230$... and my laser toner was about 25 € IIRC (but I'll check next time I'll have to buy one ).

This is pigment four color CISS with chip plane emulation, not cheap version. Delivery time - 3 weeks.

Inktec is 20-30$/1 Liter OEM bottle or about 35$ for equivalent component CMYK total of 1 Liter.
        Something like designer print ink Ultrachrome K3 replacement may cost 100$/Liter, but original Ultrachrome is over 300$/Liter (regular Durabrite is at 1000$/Liter, go figure).

Your laser toner is one thing (mind you, its refilled/illegal/same boat as CISS >, but what about laser unit and drum resource. Toner is not the only one thing that expires...

Comment

Skip the Epson

Originally posted by climatepete View Post
          Printer: Epson WF2530 - just a matter of finding the driver?
          Graphics card? I do not need one.
          I've built and spec'd many Linux boxes. Here are some thoughts:

1. I'd skip the Epson printer. Get the HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 instead. It has excellent Linux support, and looks quite comparable. I bought two a few years ago for $140 each. Install the HPLIP utility and you are good to go.

2. You might consider spending $100-150 on an NV 750Ti. Its always handy to have a good graphics card, and the 750Ti provides about 3x the stock Intel performance and much better API support (OGL, OCL, and Cuda) which is useful for GPGPU tasks.

Good luck. Again, please don't buy any component before you have confirmed it works well with Linux. A few hours of up-front work can make for a much more pleasant and productive experience - like with any purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
            but what about laser unit and drum resource. Toner is not the only one thing that expires...
            Dunno, in about 6 years of laser I never had to change something else than the toners. And it's an el-cheapo Brother.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
              Dunno, in about 6 years of laser I never had to change something else than the toners. And it's an el-cheapo Brother.
              Depends on the design of the laser engine. Some use a replaceable drum, some don't.

I've owned two HP color LaserJets, the first was a CP2605DN and now I have a CP2025DN. Neither required periodic drum replacement. Nether like third-party toner cartridges, either. HP toner is expensive and even though I only have to do it about once a year, it still hurts to shell out more than $400USD for a set of toners.

That said, I'm not going back to inkjets. I'm actually saving a bunch of money with the color laser printer compared to what I was spending on ink cartridges.

Comment

Got it built, How can I get online? Sprint wifi modem?

The Sprint/Virgin Mobile U600 wifi modem looks best for me, if I can make it work.
                Is anyone using it right now? How do you get it started? Since both Sprint and Ubuntu keep changing things, would online details from years ago be useful or not?

I have not had much to say on this topic I started - I just made slow progress. I got it built, cooling tower and all. My cables are not beautiful but they start and end in the right places.

But how to install Linux? That was a puzzle. The CD/DVD maker on my old XP machine does not work well - probably due to dust. I finally used Unebootin with the iso file on a USB stick and setting that same stick as the target while running the program in my old XP PC. Then I moved the USB stick to the new machine, made it the boot option, and amazingly it just worked. So I have Ubuntu 32 bit looking fine on my ASRock Z97 Pro4 mobo. I will figure out how to get 64 bit if I can get the box online.
                Getting my Linux PC online would make me happy indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                  Works perfectly on Ubuntu/Win8/OSX86. Bought that last August:

Processor
                  Intel Core i7 4770K
                  Processor Cores
                  Processor Speed
                  ovc to 4.6 Ghz
                  RAM
                  16 GB (Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 2x 8GB, DDR3-2400)
                  Video Board Manufacturer
                  Nvidia
                  Video Board Model
                  Asus GTX-770 DirectCU II 2GB GDDR5
                  Video Memory
                  2 GB
                  Mother Board
                  Asus Z87 PRO
                  Hard Drives
                  Samsung SSD 840 Basic, TLC, 500GB and 1TB HD
                  Monitor
                  LG L225WT
                  Operating System
                  Ubuntu etc.
                  Joystick
                  CH
                  Yoke
                  CH
                  Rudder Pedals
                  CH
                  Other
                  Corsair H90
                  Asus DVD Burner
                  Logitech cordless usb MK260 and QuickCam? Sphere?

Wow, I like your computer, I want to buy something like this, how much you pay for this computer?

--------------------------------------
                  Hire a WordPress Expert
                  Last edited by jimkidy; 30 June 2021, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimkidy View Post
                    Wow, I like your computer , I want to buy something like this, how much you pay for this computer ?
                    This is just an estimate (i've not researched these items)

z87 pro mainboard 180
                    core i7 CPU 340
                    2400mhz RAM x16 250
                    GTX770 300
                    sam840ssd GB??? 200-400
                    other hdds 150
                    ________________+350 = (i didn't remember seeing the case, power supply or cpu cooler listed)

yeah, anywhere from 1770 to 2000 usd for the main mama jama

What i'd like to know is if lm-sensors can be configured for conky, when using an asus z97.. i've read some other threads, saying another driver is required in order to interpret the temperatures. Any word on this ?

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamJeremiah View Post
                      This is just an estimate (i've not researched these items)

z87 pro mainboard 180
                      core i7 CPU 340
                      2400mhz RAM x16 250
                      GTX770 300
                      sam840ssd GB??? 200-400
                      other hdds 150
                      ________________+350 = (i didn't remember seeing the case, power supply or cpu cooler listed)

yeah, anywhere from 1770 to 2000 usd for the main mama jama

What i'd like to know is if lm-sensors can be configured for conky, when using an asus z97.. i've read some other threads, saying another driver is required in order to interpret the temperatures. Any word on this ?
                      more resources: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.lin....sensors/36526

Comment

Working...
                      X