X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    What is classic HDD .
    AFAIK, almost for sure "Classic HDD" means : SATA 2

In practice, it doesn't matter if you have an SATA2 or SATA3 HDD if it's running under IDE mode as for Speed goes in real life situations....only in synthetics and little more you notice any difference...

Of course he might be talking about non-hybrid standard mechanical HDDs in general but i bet more in SATA2 HDDs...witch is funny because i have precisely a spare 2.5" 500GB SATA2

Comment

I used DVI, but yes VGA also works @121 .

Nope , this overclocker gain best result @3156.84 MHz and he used AM1M-A .

[xfs78d] Validated Dump by toyone | x3dth | OC Gathering Vol3 (2014-04-12 17:04:33) - MB: Asus AM1M-A - RAM: 4096 MB

Yes i know but that does not work stable here with my memory, i can make my 1600 module to work stable ~@1866, so i can do something like 117 for the clock and then memory works @1872, that also works fine .

Bios only allows NB frequency to be manualy set on the following frequencies: 400/500/600/700/800 .

HDD this model.

It is cool overclocker but all this cannot be achieved with normal SATA disks using APU SATA controller, beyond 105 mobo simply does not detect SATA3 HDD anymore (whatever i set there for SATA options) .

Glad to know that VGA still works at 121 BCLK, probably still works up to 132

Yeah that one used your MoBo....and Nitrogen.
      Wonder if only for the kicks, or because it really needed because APU or because MoBo (power train)...

Amazing results for 1600MHz memory...but for stability and anything above in frequencies and in special with your options in NB (set it to 800) you really need faster RAM, like i said, none of them used less than 1866MHz memory for OC and many 2133MHz RAM even if RAM can't get that higher.

If you can, ask a friend or whatever that have one and try a 2.5" drive, maybe SATA2, and in special one of only 5400RPM...these 3 variables in HDD must be the key to solve the SATA issue.
      Don't think is a Window$ vs LINUX issue....

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
        Amazing results for 1600MHz memory...but for stability and anything above in frequencies and in special with your options in NB (set it to 800) you really need faster RAM, like i said, none of them used less than 1866MHz memory for OC and many 2133MHz RAM even if RAM can't get that higher.

If you can, ask a friend or whatever that have one and try a 2.5" drive, maybe SATA2, and in special one of only 5400RPM...these 3 variables in HDD must be the key to solve the SATA issue.
        Yep i was lucky with that one module . I have two modules of the same type KHX1600C9D3/4GX one can go only up to 1760 being stable, and this second one can go up to 1900MHz

I just leaving NB to Auto, it is being (according to dmidecode) setted up automaticaly to 800 when i do 1872 , on 1600 it is also setted automaticaly at 666 .

I disable SATAs for now and use external USB2 disk , that works fine for two days of testing with APU @2457 MHz and @1872 for the memory, so that is bclk at 117. I can do 121, that is APU @2541 which is good, but then memory can't cope anymore so i must setted that to 1613 which is as per my testing slower graphics wise . So i just ended up using 117 because of fastest memory settings i can do for this combo .

Eh, if only i can found i way to use SATAs .

Comment

Now tried just that to do with Samsung hm321hi and nope no go - same issue . Seems like all SATAs are simply locked at max bclk 105 .

That drive i running now is external usb2 drive Apacer AC601, it has usb2 and esata interfaces... but inside it is normal sata2 drive 5400RPM - Samsung hm321hi .

I running now @2500 MHz and @1900MHz for memory, bclk 119 - we will is that stable .
          Last edited by dungeon; 01 May 2014, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Must say fglrx always produce awfull static noise (tried that 14.4 version, it works fine but must remove it now ), but not radeon (only when running glxgears @governor performance )

And yes Catalyst Control Center lies about frequencies, but the same is with linux utilities .
            Last edited by dungeon; 01 May 2014, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Yep i was lucky with that one module . I have two modules of the same type KHX1600C9D3/4GX one can go only up to 1760 being stable, and this second one can go up to 1900MHz

I just leaving NB to Auto, it is being (according to dmidecode) setted up automaticaly to 800 when i do 1872 , on 1600 it is also setted automaticaly at 666 .

I disable SATAs for now and use external USB2 disk , that works fine for two days of testing with APU @2457 MHz and @1872 for the memory, so that is bclk at 117. I can do 121, that is APU @2541 which is good, but then memory can't cope anymore so i must setted that to 1613 which is as per my testing slower graphics wise . So i just ended up using 117 because of fastest memory settings i can do for this combo .

Eh, if only i can found i way to use SATAs .

Yeah, like i always said, you need faster RAM, if possible 2133MHz CL11 (AMD APUs seem like loose settings).

What BIOS version do you have in the MoBo ?

For your MoBo the most recent BIOS version is 0502 that ASUS says increases stability, whatever they mean with that.

I notice some things about those OC'ers...the one that passed 3GHz was using your MoBo and APU model....but i don't recall any reference to SATA HDD/SSD...the other uses HDD but not your MoBo and not a 5350 but a 5150 (and doesn't pushes *APU* frequencies higher than you in a stable maner)....there might be a *APU* frequency limit ( and not a BCLK limit ) after witch the SATA doesn't work...this however for now is pure speculation from me and very far fetched.

Check your BIOS version and update it if needed.

PS:
              Can you boot from USB3 ?
              You can test with your current external USB2 HDD but the ideal was testing with a USB3 external HDD...

Comment

PS:
                I DO NOT recommend that you update BIOS with build OC'ed , in special because the OC is made mainly via BCLK, better safer than sorry.
                Put rig with default values in BIOS and only then update (in case it actually needs it)

Comment

Motherboard came with 309 version of bios, and i already updated it to latest version 502 . Both have the same issue .

Because seems like i am only one with Linux tryng to overclock Athlon 5x50 more that 105 read this http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/...t-2255676.html

Different board, different CPU, but seems like exact same issue, linux became blind about device at bclk 106 but Windows starts and detect new device . Maybe i will install Windows XP just to checked out that .
                  Last edited by dungeon; 01 May 2014, 05:46 PM.

Comment

PS:
                    Can you boot from USB3 ?
                    You can test with your current external USB2 HDD but the ideal was testing with a USB3 external HDD...
                    Yep booting, from both USB2 or USB3 works .

It smells to me like some limitation of ahci driver on linux , so next thing to do is installing Windows i must install/checked out what he is doing - as people says right after setting bclk to more then 105 aka 106 Windows actually starts to detect new hardware and continue to work , maybe he just automatically load another driver or set another mode, etc... so i will see how there those things goes .
                    Last edited by dungeon; 01 May 2014, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Don't think is a Window$ vs LINUX issue....
                      Tried Windows 7 and guess what - it is linux only problem, in Windows OC just works . And performance is much better then on linux OC or not, fps in games doubled and half maybe then in linux with opensource drivers Eh, did not tried Windows for a long time .

Actually i just don't install AMD's ahci driver, maybe there will be problem then .
                      Last edited by dungeon; 02 May 2014, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X