X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    OMG

[Stupid character limit]
    Are you hurt because I did it the easy way?

Comment

I can't get the patch to actually apply to a vanilla 2.6.36 base. Lots of "offset -230 lines" and similarly worrying things, plus several hunks outright failed, plus inability to find referenced files. I'm attempting to apply with just 'patch -p1 < patch.txt'.

I'd be insane to try and compile after the source is left in this state.

Does anyone have any suggestions (or a different patch) for 2.6.36?

Comment

Originally posted by rmenessec View Post
        I can't get the patch to actually apply to a vanilla 2.6.36 base. Lots of "offset -230 lines" and similarly worrying things, plus several hunks outright failed, plus inability to find referenced files. I'm attempting to apply with just 'patch -p1 < patch.txt'.

I'd be insane to try and compile after the source is left in this state.

Does anyone have any suggestions (or a different patch) for 2.6.36?
        Get a diff of current git to 2.6.36, and then try and hone in on the differences that make a difference to this patch?

Your best bet would probably be to email the patch author and ask him very nicely for a backport to 2.6.36.

Comment

How do you get this patch installed?

Thanks.

Comment

I have Ubuntu 10.10 on my PowerPC PowerBook G4. Could this patch be applied for a PPC?

Comment

something not measured by phoronix test suite

The Phoronix test suite does not measure this aspect of OS performance (latency of interactive or I/O bound processes/threads when CPU and memory resources are stressed). Such a test would also be a more direct measure of OS performance than the existing Phoronix tests, which mostly measure application performance (and indirectly the compiler that generated the application code). I am surprised that a 20 year old OS is not regularly benchmarked for this kind of performance.

Comment

They removed general dispatcher is that it, and giving CPUs more control, this will show on heavy duty machines.

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
                  So now it will actually be practiical to multitask in linux?
                  ROFL!

Have you not been able to do this in Linux, until now? Enterprise Unix have been able to do this for ages. Linux seems immature and have performance problems when doing few things at once. And if you try to do many things at once, Linux will surely have problems - this is called "scales bad".

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
                    Of course there's the long-standing issue of measuring 'responsiveness'. If Phoronix could somehow do that, it would be a real blessing.
                    Maybe run two tests in parallel. Perhaps the kernel compile thingy and at the same time one or more of those gui widgets tests and see how the later performs.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                      I know alot of Finnish people speak swedish aswell, is Torvals one of those?
                      Yes, he is. Not just "speak swedish as well", but actually their first language is swedish. There are areas in Finland with swedish speaking population and swedish is one of the official languages. But hey, swedes are supposed to know this...

Man ?r v?l ocks? lite stolt som finlandssvensk ?ver Linus

Comment

Working...
                      X