Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Of Fedora Spins Is Questioned With Fedora.Next

Phoronix: Future Of Fedora Spins Is Questioned With Fedora.Next

Red Hat's Fedora Linux distribution is in the process of being revitalized and will see some major changes this year. We still won't see Fedora 21 come until at least August and there's already lots of questions over the future of Fedora under this new "Fedora.Next" shift. How Fedora's various "spins" will be handled also has yet to be determined given a new mailing list thread...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I forsee Arch-based Manjaro popularity skyrocketing this year

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
      I forsee Arch-based Manjaro popularity skyrocketing this year
      Why? If anything, people leaving Fedora would most likely go to openSUSE.

Comment

Why would they leave Fedora anyway? It's not like it'll be paid in the next version.

Comment

Are there any reason to use these spins (besides when using different DEs)? I would drop everything and focus on making Fedora better for end-user.

Comment

Originally posted by brk0_0 View Post
            Are there any reason to use these spins (besides when using different DEs)? I would drop everything and focus on making Fedora better for end-user.
            Agreed, those who want different DEs can simply just select them in the Anaconda installer or add them on post-install via YUM.

I don't know just how much Anaconda has changed since F17 till the current F20 since I still maintain an F17 box, but to my knowledge Anaconda had always provided users with at least 4 choices of DEs (Gnome 3, KDE 4, XFCE and LXDE) when using the installer DVD ISO and not the liveDVDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Agreed, those who want different DEs can simply just select them in the Anaconda installer or add them on post-install via YUM.

I don't know just how much Anaconda has changed since F17 till the current F20 since I still maintain an F17 box, but to my knowledge Anaconda had always provided users with at least 4 choices of DEs (Gnome 3, KDE 4, XFCE and LXDE) when using the installer DVD ISO and not the liveDVDs.
              Anaconda has changed quite a bit -- but not in that regard. I include Xfce and Gnome in my install, though anymore Cinnamon has gotten so good I don't actually much use Xfce. (Though its still good to know its there....)

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
                Anaconda has changed quite a bit -- but not in that regard. I include Xfce and Gnome in my install, though anymore Cinnamon has gotten so good I don't actually much use Xfce. (Though its still good to know its there....)
                I usually include Gnome and KDE and a random third DE for convenience. Installing Gnome usually brings in tons of dependencies that are needed for compiling GTK software in the future (like Chrome and FF to name a few). Ditto KDE 4 for Qt software (especially VLC, which i, again, compile myself from sources for the heck of it).

The third DE is mostly just "because I can", when i get bored or tired of using Gnome / KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Why? If anything, people leaving Fedora would most likely go to openSUSE.
                  My understanding was many people chose fedora for its recent packages/features. Th time to get exciting new features grew from weeks to months in some cases. And the updates in Linux world only get more exciting.
                  open suse? AFAIK it's comparable to fedora in this regard. Hence I mentioned Manjaro.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    Why would they leave Fedora anyway? It's not like it'll be paid in the next version.
                    I have been a Red Hat /Fedora user since RH 4.2. I like Fedora and its pace, and on the whole been satisfied with its direction, except of course that I use KDE instead of the Gnome.

But there is something incredible creepy about the entire "Fedora.next" process. It is all top down steering, with vague and unclear goals.

I may be wrong about this, but there seems to be a underlining sub text in what is going on right now, that Gnome will be the only official, tier one supported desktop, with other DE's hidden way and dropped to "barely tolerated" support.

So if the Fedora.next project effectively is going to nerf KDE, I will be leaving.

Comment

Working...
                    X