Intel Cedar Trail and Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Cedar Trail and Linux

I read that Intel started shipping the desktop variants of Cedar Trail today. Interesting feature is the PowerVR based GPU used; good enough for 1080p H.264. Does it work on Linux yet? Either blob or open source. If it does not work is this likely going to change in the near future?

I think this could be a Brazos killer, given the poor situation with regard to video decoding on AMD hardware.

Given that poulsbo only does VA with the blob, how is that different to Catalyst? Intel's OSS video accel does not include powervr chips.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Given that poulsbo only does VA with the blob, how is that different to Catalyst? Intel's OSS video accel does not include powervr chips.
      Maybe it does.

Comment

The difference is, that xvba-video is a wrapper only (for xvba of course), for intel chips, including pvr are native va drivers available. I still would like to have a gma 500 chip to test or one of the new ones...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          The difference is, that xvba-video is a wrapper only (for xvba of course), for intel chips, including pvr are native va drivers available. I still would like to have a gma 500 chip to test or one of the new ones...

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/vaapi/
          pvr: initial video driver drop for IMG VXD/VXE video engines

The first open source video driver drop for IMG VXD/VXE video engines

1) support IMG VXD375/385 MPEG4/2/H264/VC1 decode HW acceleration
          2) support IMG VXE250/285 MPEG4/H264/H263 encode HW accleratoin
          3) support post-processing by DC/overlay and GPU
          4) support MeeGO and Android
          That looks interesting, it says it's open source. Does it also support Cedar Trail and does it run on Ubuntu?

Comment

Huh. That indeed looks nice.

Now if only there were a proper OSS driver too, so we could play the accelerated video

Comment

Working...
            X