Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox Still Working Towards Multi-Process Support

Phoronix: Firefox Still Working Towards Multi-Process Support

While Google Chrome and other modern web-browsers -- even modern versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer -- support separate processes between the user-interface and other rendering tasks, notably missing from the threading party has been Mozilla Firefox. Mozilla developers, however, have been working towards a multi-process Firefox...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I run Firefox all the time with like almost a hundred tabs open and its still very fast and stable.
    I don't really see how this mulch-process thing is any beneficial, the side-effect be will that it consumes more RAM.

I would rather see them work on something useful, such as HTML5 form input data types such as <input type=[color|date|time|datetime|month|week]>.

Comment

Clarification

"notably missing from the threading party has been Mozilla Firefox"

Just as a clarification, Firefox is multithreaded. All the threads are just owned by one process.

Comment

f using a Firefox nightly build and enabling a Firefox preference setting it's possible to ruin in a multi-process mode, but it's not entirely complete.
        Why are you advocating checking off an option that can ruin stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
          Why are you advocating checking off an option that can ruin stuff?
          ruin => typo => run.

Comment

I?d love it if Firefox stopped freezing competely while it?s loading web pages?

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              Firefox is becoming more and more of a joke with every day that passes. It's behind even Internet Explorer. That should tell us something about the quality.
              This is JOKE OF THE DAY.

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              Good thing that I've switched to Chrome. Much better.
              Now, GOOGLE and NSA, all are watching what you are doing, what you have in your PC, in all the PCs in your home.

Comment

Threads and processes

Originally posted by PatrickNiedzielski View Post

Just as a clarification, Firefox is multithreaded. All the threads are just owned by one process.
                Yeah, too bad in all the article thread is used as a synonym of process, which it's really not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickNiedzielski View Post

^This. Very much this. The work is to make Firefox Multi-PROCESS.
                  Now, Firefox works just great on my computer so I don't care, but I can see this increasing "speed" on bigger machines.

P.S. here is where I remind you that Firefox and Chrome have VERY VERY VERY similar rending speeds and JavaScript speeds. Any "slowness" you notice on Firefox is most likely due to lag from JS Execution/Page Rendering going on in a different tab blocking the rending happening in your current one. Hence the multi-process push.
                  There's also other little tricks Chrome does, like prefetch and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I run Firefox all the time with like almost a hundred tabs open and its still very fast and stable.
                    I don't really see how this mulch-process thing is any beneficial, the side-effect be will that it consumes more RAM.

I would rather see them work on something useful, such as HTML5 form input data types such as <input type=[color|date|time|datetime|month|week]>.
                    Totally agree on this.
                    Thankfully I trust this to be configurable (read disable) in about:config

Comment

Working...
                    X