Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Loses Work From Top Compiz Contributor

Phoronix: Canonical Loses Work From Top Compiz Contributor

Following a tough week for Canonical with controversies surrounding the Mir Display Server and uncertainties about whether Ubuntu 13.04 would be released or turned into a rolling release model, Sam Spilsbury one of the lead Compiz developers and former Canonical employees, had some harsh words for the Ubuntu backer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope Canonical fails really fast with their Mir stuff and their approach to the community.

They take so much, they give so little.

Comment

His compiz stuff is all included in the 0.9.9 development. What he means is it would have gone to waste if Ubuntu 13.04 didn't actually release, which it will.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        His compiz stuff is all included in the 0.9.9 development. What he means is it would have gone to waste if Ubuntu 13.04 didn't actually release, which it will.
        "I was basically going to throw away 4 months of hard work because Ubuntu wasn?t going to take my patches because they don?t want to take community patches on compiz anymore."

It quite hard to undestand what he meant.

"because they don?t want to take community patches on compiz anymore." They aren't taking community patches anymore

"because they woudn't take community patches on compiz anymore." They won't take patches if 13.04 isn't released

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
          I really hope Canonical fails really fast with their Mir stuff and their approach to the community.

I thought everything they take gets released for everyone to use? Correct me if I'm wrong

Comment

He's on his monthly?

Talk about whiners. If you patch Compiz then you're doing it for the Users, not Canonical, since they give away the OS for free. Just patch what you want to do and what you don't then don't. There's no pressure, other than you will miss being apart of the history of Linux and Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post

You can see you're from another Distro trying to cause trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                I thought everything they take gets released for everyone to use? Correct me if I'm wrong
                GPL doesn't have a clause that would require us to like Canonical or wish them well. It's not about licensing, it's about their treatment of the community and about them being jerks for the sake of being jerks.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                  He's on his monthly?

Talk about whiners. If you patch Compiz then you're doing it for the Users, not Canonical, since they give away the OS for free. Just patch what you want to do and what you don't then don't. There's no pressure, other than you will miss being apart of the history of Linux and Ubuntu.
                  Miss being apart of linux history...? Compiz was this guy's baby, and unfortunately the ONLY one using Compiz at this point is Ubuntu and Canonical. This guy maintained Compiz as the lead dev for years and he's finally said "Ive had it" with Ubuntu's bullshit. Everyone knows you're an ubuntu fanboy and an ubuntu fanatic, e8hffff-- you're as much of a troll as the AntiBSD guy and everyone before him and everyone after you.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Wow, greatest news all week!

So here we are in 2013, finally the year of gaming on the linux desktop, and Wow, great, we have NOBODY working on the FRIGGIN compositor, just one of the most important pieces to getting a good experience and good performance, and the one on the distro actually RECOMMENDED by valve!?! Wow, thanks a lot Canonical for handling this the right way!

OT: Does anyone know whatever happened to David Reverman, the original compiz and Xgl developer? I haven't seen anything about him for years, did he just fall off the face of the earth?

Comment

Working...
                    X