AMD Radeon HD 5750/5770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Of the three distros you listed, only Ubuntu is on the "official support" list and the latest release (Karmic) uses 1.6.4 according to distrowatch (my system is 1.6.3, thought it was up to date ???).
    The references to 1.7.5 are for development builds of Lucid, which has not yet been released.
    But, the issue you claimed 1.7 was problematic or had problems which seemed to imply you were linking it to the problems of the binary driver.

I was just pointing out that it's considered stable.

If ATI/fglx has Ubuntu support(ed) and X Server 1.7.5 is stable, then isn't there a decent chance that the driver and related files needed should work? In other words, problems may be attributed to support side and not so much X.Org or X-Server? Just speculating.

You have to use 9.10 to avoid any driver issues then but if you try Lucid, it won't work? When Lucid is released at the end of April, does that mean the ATI fglrx driver will be ready then?

Comment

• I think the disconnect here is that *released* versions of Ubuntu are supported, and the latest version of X server used by a released version of Ubuntu is 1.6.4.

I expect that fglrx will be ready when Lucid is released.
      Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I think the disconnect here is that *released* versions of Ubuntu are supported, and the latest version of X server used by a released version of Ubuntu is 1.6.4.

I expect that fglrx will be ready when Lucid is released.
        Okay. I accept your explanation.

How is video playback, video hardware acceleration and video editing with this card and most recent fglrx drivers?

Same card but question applied to 3D editing: how is it? I can only think of Gimp so I don't know what other programs to ask about. Maybe Inkscape.

I was also curious what my experience would be with Wine if I used it with Photoshop and Xara, for e.g. I don't think such a powerful card is needed but I'm wondering about how it applies to the hardware, fglrx drivers and 3D experience with ATI/Linux.

Comment

• I'm asking these questions since I'm considering a Powercolor HD 5770 PCS+ and comparing to a used GTX 260 (almost same price).

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
            Same card but question applied to 3D editing: how is it? I can only think of Gimp so I don't know what other programs to ask about. Maybe Inkscape.

I was also curious what my experience would be with Wine if I used it with Photoshop and Xara,
            Are you trolling or what? None of these applications require 3D acceleration.

Comment

• Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              Are you trolling or what? None of these applications require 3D acceleration.
              Although in that class of apps there is Blender, and various CAD programs that require 3D accel. Perhaps that was what he was thinking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                Although in that class of apps there is Blender, and various CAD programs that require 3D accel. Perhaps that was what he was thinking about.
                I guess I just grouped them all into '3D graphics' but probably shouldn't have. I was curious if there would be any issues if trying various programs from video editors to raster graphics editors to vector graphics software to CAD software. I didn't say they required 3D acceleration.

Comment

• Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                  My situation is a bit more complex: I have two monitors (both DVI) and a projector (HDMI). I don't need the projector when using the monitors and vice versa, so two outputs at a time would be plenty.

Unfortunately fglrx seems to permanently disable DFP4 (dvi#2) when it detects a cable in DFP2 (hdmi), no matter if there's actually a picture on DFP2 or not. To use the second monitor, I have to unplug the projector before the system boots.
                  just as a follow-up, as of fglrx 10.3 (maybe 10.2, didn't test), this setup works perfectly.

Code:
                  xrandr --output DFP4 --off
                  xrandr --output DFP2 --mode 1280x720 --right-of DFP3
                  Code:
                  xrandr --output DFP2 --off
                  xrandr --output DFP4 --auto --right-of DFP3
                  works as expected.

It requires two separate xrandr calls, won't work when everything's put on one line.

yay \o/

(and just for bashing: that means it now works way better than on windows. Stupid thing likes to forget previous configurations and everything. Doesn't seem to allow simple changes with command line tools, either.
                  and just for bashing #2, I now have three displays permanently connected. Take that, nvidia. )

Comment

• Many has been said here about unofficial Catalyst releases, Ubuntu Lucid Alpha, Beta, Etcetera

Well, now Ubuntu 10.04 is out, so is Catalyst 10.4. But despite their version number correlation, they DO NO work together for me. And apparently I am not the only one

Ubuntu's proprietary hardware driver tool doesn't do the job: It downloads the driver, but fails to install it.

Using the shell script from AMD works as to installing the driver, but now I ended up with a completely broken X Server. (No black screen though, but extreeeeem long boot time, then a x-server that draws windows in slo-mo and not a trace of composition.)

Now since the Phoronix guys here benchmark Ubuntu Lucid with Raden HD 5770 all the time:
                    Please guys: How the hell did you get it working?

Comment

• Originally posted by sorab View Post
                      Using the shell script from AMD works as to installing the driver, but now I ended up with a completely broken X Server. (No black screen though, but extreeeeem long boot time, then a x-server that draws windows in slo-mo and not a trace of composition.) [/b]
                      I have a 5750 that is working fine under 10.04 x86_64.

I had to remove the ubuntu distributed driver, run fglrx_uninstall and then rm -rf /etc/ati before running the downloaded 10.04 installer. I used the installer option rather than creating debs or whatever too.

I also need to set "DefaultDepth 24" manually in the xorg.conf after running the installer.

I can pm you my xorg.conf if that helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X