Retina MacBook Pro Graphics: OS X Is Okay, But Linux Breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    That thing makes my eyes hurt. And its huge.

The latest Z is an interesting piece of kit but i don't think it is near the MBPr. Leaving the retina aside Lenovo makes some interesting stuff (the X1 carbon is nice), Sony also (Z and the S are ok) but they don't have the poise of apples designs.
    I don't really care about entirely subjective opinions of the design, I just care about specs and usability (how good is the keyboard and are there any real bone-headed design problems which actually make it harder to use the system, basically). I don't think it's practical to compare systems in terms of aesthetic design because everyone has a different opinion; specs make for a much more useful comparison.

Admittedly now I review the specs, the current Z and the MBP Retina are much closer than I thought, effectively identical in performance; the Z is substantially lighter at 2.5lb vs. 4.5lb, which is very important to me, and what caused me to dismiss the Retina after I'd been pretty interested in it from the rumours. The Z is still comfortably superior to non-Retina MBPs, especially the 13" to which it's obviously directly comparable, in all important technical aspects - it's faster, lighter, and has a much better display. I always want to have a powerful, fairly small, light laptop with a good screen and decent battery life, and for the last few years, the Z has been that; the MBP line has consistently been slower and heavier and had worse screens (note the Z's screen is matte, which is really nice; another easy-to-overlook feature of the Z is that it has a very small screen bezel, so the actual 'rectangular' dimensions of the Z line are smaller than most 13" laptops, inc. the MBP - I find the rectangular dimensions much more important than thickness, because they determine the size of bag you can carry the system in). The Retina bumps up the specs (but also the price, it's now $1k more than the Z at base price) and the display, but it's still relatively heavy (admittedly 4.5lb isn't bad at all for a 15" laptop in absolute terms, but it's 2lb heavier than the current model Z), and they haven't made a 13" one yet. I'll be interested to see what they come up with if they do make a 13" Retina.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Don't give a flying fuck about anything that comes from those criminals (fruity shitheads on acid).
      No one cares what you care about.

Comment

Originally posted by stefantalpalaru View Post
        Michael, I enjoy your benchmarks (and software) as much as the next Linux user, but why would you assume that paying for overpriced Apple hardware is justified by "much sought after Linux hardware testing"? Whenever I buy hardware I check for Linux support first and the ability to replace components is a close second. Shiny gear I can't maintain myself doesn't interest me. Have you thought about creating a benchmarking site only for Apple victims?
        Show me the non-Apple equivalent of the MBPr and I will go buy it today. And I mean same weight, same amount of flash storage, same screen resolution, all that.

Oh wait, it does not exist.

Now roll out the arguments of why no one needs that. I expect it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          As said in the article, the more interesting information will come once the new ad campaigns start on Phoronix -- since the ads so far this month are shit and so if I publish the rMBP details right now, I'll just lose money when factoring in the Apple hardware costs.
          I would pay for a higher cost yearly subscription if you published more member-only content with more information and detail. I'm good for at least $99/year.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            And you're basing on what? Every person I know doesn't care about their hardware. There are much better hardware vendors and I'd love to see how Linux and OS X performs on non apple hardware.
            And YOU'RE basing on "every person you know"? A small uninteresting group of people... Ironic, because I know a large number of people who work with Linux every single day, and they:

1) Care very much about their hardware
            2) Often use Apple technologies because of the quality of the hardware

Where are these better hardware vendors? Sony was the closest I have seen in higher end quality PC hardware, and their costs are similar to Apple's. Who else? Name the vendors and their models which have similar/same characteristics.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
              It weighs 8.6lb, which is way above the MBP class, let alone Series 9 / X230 / Vaio Z. The MBP Retina weighs 4.46lb. That's such a huge difference they're barely worth comparing; the Clevo is a luggable/desktop replacement, the Retina is a true portable. There are reasons someone would want to buy a luggable, for sure, but you can't really directly compare the two, they're just in different classes.
              Exactly. Not only that, but the power adapter for the Clevo weighs another 2.2. lbs!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                So what?

Good for me.

Yes. Apple doesn't sell notebooks from that class at all.
                Yes because two of the predominate features people look for in a portable computer is long battery life and light weight. You know, things that make them truly portable.

Comment

Could you please stop with this useless trolling five posts zomg are you such attention whore even in real life?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                    Could you please stop with this useless trolling five posts zomg are you such attention whore even in real life?
                    I had some time. It was fun. ZOMG Totally.

Comment

Working...
                    X