Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 20 Will Be Released Next Week

Phoronix: Fedora 20 Will Be Released Next Week

After being pressed by repeated delays Fedora 20 "Heisenbug" has been given the go-ahead to be officially released next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While the Dev and QA teams agreed to go with the release, the Release Engineering team was not present when the decision was made. All three need to give the green light before a release is made.
    Anyways, I believe Release Engineering will go with it and there will be no more delays.

To those of you, who are impatient to try the final Fedora 20, here is the link to RC1.1, which if I understand correctly, will be used as the final image. http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/20-RC1.1/

Comment

Downloaded Fedora 20 RC1 today and was surprised: positively, because the desktop was very polished, good looking and stable. Not what I expect from a bleeding edge distro. Negatively, because it didn't really seem that bleeding edge to me. Mesa 9.2, Linux 3.11, Firefox 25... inb4 500MB day0 updates.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Downloaded Fedora 20 RC1 today and was surprised: positively, because the desktop was very polished, good looking and stable. Not what I expect from a bleeding edge distro. Negatively, because it didn't really seem that bleeding edge to me. Mesa 9.2, Linux 3.11, Firefox 25... inb4 500MB day0 updates.
        I think it was Adam that said that Mesa 10 and Xorg 1.15 may not come to F20, they may be held off until F21 (we'll see, maybe we'll get a nice surprise)

But the kernel and firefox should get updates as always.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Fedora 20 Will Be Released Next Week
          yeah.. right..

I don't believe it til I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by ncopa View Post
            yeah.. right..

I don't believe it til I see it.
            There has been no history of Fedora announcing that they will do a release next week and retracting that. The final release images are already available. I am not linking to it since it has not been mirrored yet.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              There has been no history of Fedora announcing that they will do a release next week and retracting that. The final release images are already available. I am not linking to it since it has not been mirrored yet.
              This is very good to hear!

I have a system that is a potential update target so I was on the Fedora web site yesterday and have to say I'm a bit disappointed with that site. Why? Finding information on the soon to be announced Fedora 29 was a pain in the you know what, I was expecting to be able to find a listing of the default software packages and found nothing. That could be me, but honestly a release a week away should be marketed better than what is seen on the Fedora web site. We are talking www.fedora project.org here. Also some parts of the site such as that associated with the FEL spin are very dated.

Mind you I'm not complaining about Fedora which I've always liked as a distro. It is just that the web site (www.fedoraproject.org) seems to be a bit flashy and difficult for somebody that doesn't spend a lot of time there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                I think it was Adam that said that Mesa 10 and Xorg 1.15 may not come to F20, they may be held off until F21 (we'll see, maybe we'll get a nice surprise)

But the kernel and firefox should get updates as always.
                This would be such a bull! Tearing on Intel GPU-s is fixable only by having the bundle land in Fedora!
                Bug 711028 - Tearing on Intel GPU - the CLUTTER_PAINT workaround

Could you tell me who is this Adam you speak of (his involvment with Fedora development)?

BTW, has anyone had a problem with inability to set menus_have_icons using gconf-editor?
                Originally posted by Bucic
                I know they're enabled in gconf-editor by setting:
                desktop/gnome/interface buttons_have_icons and menus_have_icons

But it doesn't work on my current install. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Fedora 20 (F18 -> fedup to F19 -> fedup to F20).
                It used to work on the F19 install. I've been using Faience icons theme since F19 and it was enabled while doing fedup, if it matters.

What I tried:
                - disabling the Faience icon theme
                - setting the gconf settings also via sudo gconf-editor

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                  This would be such a bull! Tearing on Intel GPU-s is fixable only by having the bundle land in Fedora!
                  Bug 711028 - Tearing on Intel GPU - the CLUTTER_PAINT workaround

Could you tell me who is this Adam you speak of (his involvment with Fedora development)?

BTW, has anyone had a problem with inability to set menus_have_icons using gconf-editor?
                  The post by Adam is: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...068#post379068

But keep in mind his wording is "I dont believe" and F20 is already shipping a Xorg 1.15 snapshot isnt it? So it may end up shipping regardless. Or they may selectively pull in the DRI3 and Present changes. Only time will tell right now

Hold on, you were IN that thread, Bucic -_-
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    Finding information on the soon to be announced Fedora 29 was a pain in the you know what, I was expecting to be able to find a listing of the default software packages and found nothing.
                    Distrowatch is great for getting info on versions of core packages, though I agree it's a nice thing to have on a distribution's website.

Comment

Working...
                    X