OUYA: A $99 Android Linux Game Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    And the kernel alone is about as useful as a NetBSD toaster...
    So? What's your point?

Comment

Yeah, it's exactly that, Android, which the user has no real control of out of the box, which is designed to give every bit of personal information possible about you to whatever company pays for the privilege of stalking you. Because of that Android is not and never will be Linux, no, it doesn't fucking matter what kernel it runs when you have no control.
      According to your definition all the embedded devices out there that are running Linux are in reality not running Linux, because the user has no control over the inbuilt OS. Or is your definition only true for Android?

Comment

ok, so can anyone please answer this:

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        quick question:

if I install a normal linux distro (like ubuntu) on an ARM nvidia tegra tablet, will I have full GPU acceleration , since am using the linux kernel or is the acceleration only available on android ?
        thanks

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          talked out of his ass some more...

So you jailbreak all of your devices, breaching the contract with the service provider? Or do you have some source for phone and tablet hardware that has no OS or an actual Linux installed, I.E. not Android?

ARM devices are not sold as common X86 gear is, there is no Newegg with a thousand mobos from which you can choose from.

The only ARM gear I currently know of that you can get with REAL LINUX on it by default is for a Phone: GTA-04 http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/
          Tablet: Vivaldi http://aseigo.blogspot.com/
          Gaming device: Open Pandora http://openpandora.org/

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
            According to your definition all the embedded devices out there that are running Linux are in reality not running Linux, because the user has no control over the inbuilt OS. Or is your definition only true for Android?
            I think that Kivada needs to read this: http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

Comment

Or do you have some source for phone and tablet hardware that has no OS or an actual Linux installed, I.E. not Android?

Comment

More or less yeah, sure you can count them as installs the same way Microsoft counts installs of WinCE on embedded devices as installs as well, but unless you can do anything with them aside from what they where specifically built for without major modification... then no, they don't count.

Comment

More or less yeah, sure you can count them as installs the same way Microsoft counts installs of WinCE on embedded devices as installs as well, but unless you can do anything with them aside from what they where specifically built for without major modification... then no, they don't count.
                  Seems to me that you stand pretty alone with your definition.

Comment

Do they even still make those though? I thought sine MS took over Nokia they had stopped producing anything of value.

Comment

Seems to me that you stand pretty alone with your definition.
                      On a site full of idiots that think Nvidia can do no wrong even if they will never support an OSS driver and would drop Linux support like a rotting diaper if it weren't for the CAD and pro video editing segment.

Comment

Working...
                      X