Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    Most likely the KDE team would gladly do just that...and most likely pick up many interested devs if this comes to pass
    I guess some good could come from all this, with KDE having direct control over their underlying API, much like Gnome has over Gtk.

Comment

Btw, do people here actually care that much about phones? I mean, I still have a 2004 Siemens phone and am happy with it. All I need it to do is make phone calls and put notes in the organizer I never gave a crap about Android, Meego and whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Btw, do people here actually care that much about phones? I mean, I still have a 2004 Siemens phone and am happy with it. All I need it to do is make phone calls and put notes in the organizer I never gave a crap about Android, Meego and whatever.
        Smart phones are nice gadgets but I tend to use small simple phones with an uber long battery life. I care about this more because of the side benifts to computers from a strong presence by linux phones. Meego's probably would be nice on a tablet to.

Comment

I thought the same way until i bought an android phone. Now I'd be pretty much lost without it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
            Most likely the KDE team would gladly do just that...and most likely pick up many interested devs if this comes to pass
            How would KDE pay them? Novell's been absorbed and who knows how that will end up in the long run so that really just leaves RH and they are committed to Gnome.
            Although I am sad to hear about this since competition is good, I was really hoping Android would be put on Nokia's awesome hardware. If anyone can make a android an iphone competitor hardware-wise its nokia.
            I'll be interested in seeing where Qt goes over the next few years. I imagine KDE will take it and try to develop it, but I think Intel is going to move in a different direction
            (seriously, these companies need to pick a product and STICK with it-- you can't develop a decent platform in a year unless you contribute MASSIVE number of people and you get lucky--both Intel and Nokia seem a bit impatient). Good luck to them. Now they'll get to see what gnome has had to do since they had no single company responsible for it's stack. This is also why gnome/gtk would be much harder to kill. Then again maybe enough KDE can draw enough people to both maintain Qt, innovate, write KDE and make it all usable.

Best/Liam

Comment

dumb move from nokia to tie themselves to the loser platform.

at least they could had done like samsung, which has android phones as their most popular phones ever, but also has bada phones and also release a wp7 phone too "just in case".

Well lets see what happens, am pretty sure the new management will see that they started worse than the old management.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                dumb move from nokia to tie themselves to the loser platform.

at least they could had done like samsung, which has android phones as their most popular phones ever, but also has bada phones and also release a wp7 phone too "just in case".

Well lets see what happens, am pretty sure the new management will see that they started worse than the old management.
                its such a loser platform and company

it runs 80+% of clients

about 50% of servers " if you include virtualiation" likely 20-35% without.depends on who you ask.

It is all over the place on embeeded devices like scan tools.

They have a phone OS

The have Xbox.

I think the losers are the people bitching and whining.

Comment

Perhaps we don't care about the 'phone' part so much. I use my Nokia N82 (symbian; horrible, but you get used to it) as mp3/fm player, offline navigation system, voip client and camera. Don't even need a sim card for that..

Comment

Something lots of people seem to be forgetting is that smartphones are only a small part of Nokia's sales/lineup. They are definitely not going to die if they lose ground in that market. Even if they lose all sales in the 'western' world, they probably could still turn a profit.

Also, Nokia does have some decent bargaining chips for negotiating with Microsoft: MS wants to improve its mobile OS, Nokia has both experience and hardware it can use (MS needs them more than they need MS). So its plausible that they've got enough flexibility (or get-out-of-hell-free cards :P) in the contract that they can still work on MeeGo and get it to a point where they're happy to bring it into the mainstream (then do so). I'm fairly sure they'll keep Symbian for their low end models, too (they said a while back that the N8 would be the last high-end phone to run Symbian, but the cheaper hardware would still use it).

I don't like this move, and am concerned about what its results could be, but I'm not gunna start digging any graves just yet.

Oh, and I recommend against boycotting Nokia phones as a whole, I actually suggest buying certain models -- the ones with OS's you want to see more of . Its a much clearer vote regarding what you want them to do. Eventually they'll get the hint if they see a peak in sales whenever they chuck MeeGo on something. Might take a few years and changes in boardmembers, but it'll happen.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                      I don't have these nazi buttons. Razor does wonders in under 1 minute.
                      Teheee. Another one who cracks out these things from the keyboards. Nasty obstacles they are, getting in your way. Better have 2 ctrl keys especially on laptops than these keys.
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X