Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.3.3 Heats Things Up For GNOME 3.4

Phoronix: GNOME 3.3.3 Heats Things Up For GNOME 3.4

GNOME 3.3.3 is now available as the latest update in what will ultimately become GNOME 3.4 next March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How about re-implementing Drag-n-drop? Talk a bout reverting functionality when they actually managed to screw that one up. I can't drag and drop from a folder to the bookmarks/shortcuts in the sidepanel.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      How about re-implementing Drag-n-drop? Talk a bout reverting functionality when they actually managed to screw that one up. I can't drag and drop from a folder to the bookmarks/shortcuts in the sidepanel.
      Nothing got reverted here. It just not implemented yet see https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=661275
      I might get to it in the 3.4 time frame but no promises.

Comment

Gnome keeps getting better and better. It's heading to the right direction - plus, Vala rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          Gnome keeps getting better and better. It's heading to the right direction - plus, Vala rocks!
          Positive comments really make me smile . Because there are so few of them around here... I really wish that everyone could see that Gnome is not "ruining" or "killing" anything. There are alternative DEs for everyone, and no reason to whine if you've already found your favourite. If that happened to be Gnome 2, there are options there as well. Mint's direction with GNOME 3, MATE etc... The negativity towards anything different or unexpected needs to STOP. It's making the community as a whole look childish and backward. If you don't like it, fair enough. But no need to shout about it every chance you get. Now it would be okay if you DID use Gnome 3, but thought one or two things were letting it down. But people who don't even use it and never plan to should just grow up a bit and keep their voices down. Got a little carried away. Point is - I love the positivity - keep it coming !
          Last edited by pigggie; 27 December 2011, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pigggie View Post
            Positive comments really make me smile . Because there are so few of them around here... I really wish that everyone could see that Gnome is not "ruining" or "killing" anything. There are alternative DEs for everyone, and no reason to whine if you've already found your favourite. If that happened to be Gnome 2, there are options there as well. Mint's direction with GNOME 3, MATE etc... The negativity towards anything different or unexpected needs to STOP. It's making the community as a whole look childish and backward. If you don't like it, fair enough. But no need to shout about it every chance you get. Now it would be okay if you DID use Gnome 3, but thought one or two things were letting it down. But people who don't even use it and never plan to should just grow up a bit and keep their voices down. Got a little carried away. Point is - I love the positivity - keep it coming !
            Not quite, many of us have tried the alternatives and found them to be quite lacking. What is childish and immature is releasing a half baked desktop environment as your one and only supported version. It's like saying Vista was an upgrade from XP-SP2/3.

As always, new=better is not always the case, Gnome3 is proof of that, maybe 3.4 will be G3's Service Pack 2, maybe they'll just come out with a complete version and call it Gnome4 and hope everyone forgets the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              Not quite, many of us have tried the alternatives and found them to be quite lacking. What is childish and immature is releasing a half baked desktop environment as your one and only supported version. It's like saying Vista was an upgrade from XP-SP2/3.

As always, new=better is not always the case, Gnome3 is proof of that, maybe 3.4 will be G3's Service Pack 2, maybe they'll just come out with a complete version and call it Gnome4 and hope everyone forgets the whole thing.
              The alternatives are quite lacking? So why should Gnome get all the hate? No, the majority of hate I see is when people that are conditioned into the traditional way of using a desktop just can't adjust to Gnome 3. But a lot of them used KDE to begin with... I love Gnome 3. New != better, but "better" is not the right word here. As always it's a matter of taste, and a lot of people can't see past their own. I and most other Gnome 3 users will be the first to admit that it's missing certain key features. But I think most of us have faith they'll be sorted out eventually. And development since 3.0 indicates they will be.

Well no, I don't think you can call that childish... this half-baked desktop environment is working for me just fine. Maybe I'm just lucky that I'm a somewhat technical user and can find workarounds to most of the common "problems" (read: just not implemented yet). They could of course have kept postponing release over and over until it was perfect, but I don't think that would be in the project's best interests. I've seen many projects just fade away and die by doing that. I don't think it's "childish", I think it's just the right strategy.

I can appreciate that you'd be frustrated if you can't get along with any of the other DEs. But just have some patience. Mint's Gnome 3 strategy has really only just started. Likewise MATE. Give them a while to get up to speed and I'm sure you'll have nothing to complain about. Comparing it to Vista is unfair. Vista doesn't give you options, and wasn't even a rethink anyway. This is the direction Gnome has taken. It has it's supporters, and it's haters, but it's certainly not going back to what it was after coming this far. Intelligent criticism is fine, but bitching and whining for the sake of it solves nothing and reflects badly upon a community that should know better!

Support and kind words can go a long way.
              Last edited by pigggie; 27 December 2011, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pigggie View Post
                The alternatives are quite lacking? So why should Gnome get all the hate?
                .... This ....

Comment

I also like the direction of GNOME 3 Switched from KDE 4.6 to Fedora 15 with GNOME 3 when it came out, didn't regret it. I felt a certain serenity with G3 that I never had with KDE. KDE just never (not even in 3.x days) felt polished with all its' little design inconsistencies. There was a blog post a while back on Planet KDE about learning from the GNOME competition, which pointed them out. Should be required reading for everyone involved with KDE UIs.

Sure, G3 isn't perfect, but that takes time and global menu bars. And if G3 isn't your thing, well, tough luck. I suggest you help out the alternatives instead of bitching about not getting what you aren't even entitled to. Do that and everyone will be happier in the end

@pigggie: I hear you and like how you speak out against the negativity. Catch flies, honey, vinegar, etc.

Comment

Dear gnome 3.

If an extension doesn't work - please don't force me to log out and close all programs.
                    If an extension crashes gnome shell - please don't force me to log out and close all programs.

In the meantime I'll use kde 4 where I can kill and restart plasma and kwin however I like.

Comment

Working...
                    X