No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Drops Their Open-Source Driver, Refers Users To VESA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad that I'm on the AMD side already and I had installed the amd fglrx driver and configured my settings with aticonfig and i'd given a custom specific settings for my xorg.conf and fglrx opengl shows be enabled over the direct render and i'm very impressed with that and the games were running very smoothly with opengl rendering mode

Comment

I'm beggining to feel happier about my decision of buying AMD stuff. Catalyst may suck but at least they support the open-source world.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikyuaoki View Post
        I'm glad that I'm on the AMD side already and I had installed the amd fglrx driver and configured my settings with aticonfig and i'd given a custom specific settings for my xorg.conf and fglrx opengl shows be enabled over the direct render and i'm very impressed with that and the games were running very smoothly with opengl rendering mode
        sorry for double posts, I almost forget to tell this about my ati radeon hd video card specific, my ati video card is the dual radeon hd 5850 cards with each 1GB video ram and that crossfireX is enabled also that's it i have

Comment

Finally nVidia made their view on open source clear; We don't give a damn about open source.

Comment

I think Nvidia are roughly comparable to China.

They benefit us enormously in so many ways, yet are famous for rigourous protecting and safeguarding their secrets.

Alright, they're protecting their IP. But from what? From who? ATI? Intel? What use would Nvidia's code be to them? A component in their GLX implementation, perhaps? Whatever it is, i'd have far more respect for them if they told us what it is they're defending.

OSS has proven itself formidable, even preferable. I can't wait for the Nouveau project to get better. But for now, it's simply a waste of good dollars to use their driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
              Finally nVidia made their view on open source clear; We don't give a damn about open source drivers and have decided to maintain the best performing, non-sacrificing feature rich, solution in linux.
              There fixed that for you.

Comment

You know, VMWare's solutions are vastly superior to the open-source Virtualbox. I wouldn't touch their Workstation with a bargepole, though.

Advocating proprietary solutions on Linux rather misses the point of Linux, don't you think? A modular Unix-like OS made entirely of free software? If you want to condone advocacy of proprietary solutions, then look elsewhere. Apple are always happy to serve you.

Comment

Originally posted by synthil View Post
                  Alright, they're protecting their IP. But from what? From who? ATI? Intel?
                  Patent suits, perhaps. There are companies out there with patent trolling as their business model.

Whatever it is, i'd have far more respect for them if they told us what it is they're defending.
                  That would involve a public admission of a risk, which could hurt their stock price.

This is all very cynical, but major corporations often have to be cynical in order to stay competitive.

Comment

You know, VMWare's solutions are vastly superior to the open-source Virtualbox. I wouldn't touch their Workstation with a bargepole, though.

Advocating proprietary solutions on Linux rather misses the point of Linux, don't you think? A modular Unix-like OS made entirely of free software? If you want to condone advocacy of proprietary solutions, then look elsewhere. Apple are always happy to serve you.
                    No I don't think it misses the point. Linus himself admits that linux's future lies in a shade of grey. I don't give a rats ass what that nutbar Stallman's views are.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      There fixed that for you.
                      Yes, the nvidia binary blob works quite well...when it works. And if you don't care about applications behaving properly with multiple desktops or the ability to use anything other than nvidia-settings to set the video mode.

Personally, I prefer a driver that I can fix myself if need be over one that has more features, but leaves me SOL if it breaks. YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                      X