ATI HD6870 driver and GPU! can't get it to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI HD6870 driver and GPU! can't get it to work

I am trying to get a HD6870 card to work under Fedora Core 11. So obviously there is no driver. I installed the ATI Catalyst? 10.11 and followed steps suggested by Hackerfoo and removing the watermarks using the script written by Kano.
    After installing ATI Stream SDK 2.2, I was unable to get it to work. I keep getting this error.

HelloCL!
    Getting Platform Information
    Creating a context AMD platform
    Getting device info
    Loading and compiling CL source
    We couldn't load CL source code

What does this mean? Does this mean there is something wrong at the driver end or I messed up the installation of the SDK2.2? Sorry, I am new to all this. Is there anyway to get stream computing to work on HD6870.
    Thanks for your help

It means fglrx is a lie and your card will not work properly for another 2 years at best, until Gallium 3D or so matures.

It's been like this situation for more than 5 years, not a single bit has changed. Fglrx is still a lie.

Comment

Today is the day HD 6900 (Cayman) releases. I have cash at hand and was waiting to pop in the store and nip one, EVEN IF there is no OSS support might be for some years, just to show that I still cares about ATI. However, open it's official website and select driver for HD 6000, there not even a Linux option there. I am forced to buy the green's product again, sorry AMD.

Comment

It is pretty brain dead to buy a high end card to use with the open source driver, unless you like burning money or are just an OSS aficionado (I?m one). You get a high end card to use it to it?s full potential; with the open source drivers you won?t be doing that any time soon, if at all. No. You buy such a card and run fglrx to get everything out of it. And yes, it is incredibly shitty that the card(s) are not supported yet. I though I read somewhere here about AMD promising first day fglrx support for all their cards?

Comment

blogs.amd.com:

Jay Marsden: "The driver will be updated to support the AMD Radeon HD 6950 & HD 6970 by tomorrow Dec 16th."

Comment

If you're having problems with HD6xxx support: These steps might help some HD6xxx owners to have fglrx support with their card (link goes to Arch wiki):

Catalyst in HD6xxx cards

Hope it helps some people trying to "google" the solution for the card.

Cheers!

Comment

Even recent 10.12 doesn't support my 6850!

Comment

Originally posted by Death Knight View Post
                It seems that "posts that contain a URL will be sent to the moderation queue while you have less than five posts" is quite slow atm, but from (avoiding url) blogs amd com:

Jay Marsden: "The driver will be updated to support the AMD Radeon HD 6950 & HD 6970 by tomorrow Dec 16th"

Comment

Originally posted by Death Knight View Post
                  I've been running my 6850 with 10.11 just fine without any crashes on ubuntu. Have you tried using the drivers?

Comment

just want to chime in and say with catalyst 10.11 and 10.12 the 6870 and 6950 work fine on my system.

For ati stream sdk, you need to use 2.3 which also works on both the cards mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                    X