Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 22 Moves Ahead With Plan To Replace Yum With DNF

Phoronix: Fedora 22 Moves Ahead With Plan To Replace Yum With DNF

The feature proposal is moving forward for replacing the Yum package manager with the next-generation DNF solution for Fedora 22...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it still remove the running kernel?

Comment

Does it still format the root partition after running "dnf --help"?

Comment

And we all know that DNF will be the default package system in Fedora 25.

Comment

Originally posted by sp82 View Post
          And we all know that DNF will be the default package system in Fedora 25.
          [x] As alternative side-by side with yum and red blinking beta-warnings.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            Yum never removed a running kernel for me, it only removes old ones (more than 2 updates old).

Please, when you meet such an issue:
            - make sure it's not due to a design decision (probably not in this case),
            - report it to the developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              Yum never removed a running kernel for me, it only removes old ones (more than 2 updates old).
              But DNF does it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                Yes, because it was done that way deliberately.

dnf erase kernel deletes all packages called kernel
                dnf versus yum

I like yum remove kernel's functionality, but I guess it's not going to stick around.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                  He's referring to the fact that yum treats certain packages as special and has a running-list of "special" packages. One of them being the kernel. If you execute yum remove kernel it will remove all kernels except the one currently booted because it has special-handling for the kernel package. If you execute dnf remove kernel it removes ALL kernels, even the one currently booted. Majority of people don't care if they have old kernels installed and will just wait for them to get gradually flushed out as newer kernels come in, and therefore wont be running dnf remove kernel those that DO care PROBABLY know enough to that they need to specify WHICH kernels by version, and CAN do so.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                  X