Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crowd sourcing Mesa development experiment_ver_002

Hi all,

Having read about the crowd-funded project, I thought it is an idea (good or bad) to estimate how much the cost would be to develop the remaining has not started OPENGL extensions quicker to achieve parity with the official propriatery drivers.
    The main goal is to open a discussion and if it possible organizes a project with proper plan and deadlines with crowd sourcing.
    First of all I am not an expert and my intention is to collect information and just share the end result with everybody and generate competition and give motivation.
    I valued each development as $1000 (I am waiting offers from the whole world(India/China).
    If you have an offer please comment the offered competition date and offer price
    GL 4.0: $34,000.00 How much money need to
    Price The best offer
    GLSL 4.0 not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_shader_subroutine not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_tessellation_shader not started $1,000.00

GL 4.1:

GLSL 4.1 not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_shader_precision not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_viewport_array not started $1,000.00

GL 4.2:

GLSL 4.2 not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_texture_compression_bptc not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_compressed_texture_pixel_storage not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store not started $1,000.00

GL 4.3:

GLSL 4.3 not started
    GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_clear_buffer_object not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_compute_shader not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_copy_image not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_explicit_uniform_location not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_fragment_layer_viewport not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_internalformat_query2 not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_program_interface_query not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_robust_buffer_access_behavior not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_shader_image_size not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_stencil_texturing not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_texture_view not started $1,000.00

GL 4.4:

GLSL 4.4 not started $1,000.00
    GL_MAX_VERTEX_ATTRIB_STRIDE not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_buffer_storage not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_clear_texture not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_enhanced_layouts not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_multi_bind not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_query_buffer_object not started $1,000.00
    GL_ARB_texture_stencil8 not started $1,000.00

$34,000 for all that that work would be an absolute bargain. It other words its not going to happen. If you are interested in cheaper ways to support Mesa development I've just written a blog post about the ways you can help support my Mesa work as an independent developer without donating money to me. See: http://www.itsqueeze.com/2013/12/ind...funding-model/

Comment

My intention was to get an answer for a question, that it is possible or not crowd funding a bigger project covering more OpenGL development at the same time including very complex ones like tessellation.

By the way I never thought it cost $34 000. It cost as much as it cost. As I never worked as a programmer and I am not aware of complexity of the changes. My idea was - based on yours ? discuss what the Linux community think about it.

Comment

I am interested in helping and I try educate myself however I still feel that I have not reached the level which would be good enough to submit any code change.

Help in fixing/debugging would be a good area for me, just I do not know where to start it.

Comment

Originally posted by LN17 View Post
          First of all I am not an expert and my intention is to collect information and just share the end result with everybody and generate competition and give motivation. I valued each development as $1000 (I am waiting offers from the whole world(India/China). If you have an offer please comment the offered competition date and offer price
          For each item, does "completion" mean :

- just the core mesa work (no way to demonstrate success)
          - core mesa work plus SW renderer
          - core mesa work plus 1 HW driver
          - core mesa work plus all major HW drivers

Suggest you clarify this (or at least ask for specifics) since it makes a big different in terms of amount of work, dependencies on others, and ability to determine if deliverable has been met.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by LN17 View Post
            My intention was to get an answer for a question, that it is possible or not crowd funding a bigger project covering more OpenGL development at the same time including very complex ones like tessellation.

By the way I never thought it cost $34 000. It cost as much as it cost. As I never worked as a programmer and I am not aware of complexity of the changes. My idea was - based on yours ? discuss what the Linux community think about it.
            I have tried to answer this question many times. There are many problems with trying to run such a large campaign:
            - who holds the money and pays the devs? they would probably need to have a non profit status to avoid wasting money on tax. would people trust this person/s enough to donate?
            - who do you hire? unless it's on going work it can be hard to get someone to commit to this kind of work.
            - what happens if they don't finish the work? do you pay them in hours or for a completed task? it can be hard to get someone to work if there is no guarantee of payment
            - how much can acctualy be raised in one campaign? my campaigns have been quite small so far but there is probably a limit to the amount that can be raised.

These are just some of the concerns I have considered when thinking of a larger campaign. Personaly I think a bunch of smaller campaigns run by developers would be a better way to go, although they also have there own risk attached.

Comment

Working...
            X