Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old dee

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    What's there to like? It's a stupid project born of pure idiocy.
    this guy never learn.

i see this guy on a lot of foruns with the same speech. i think this guy is the same who likes and use hurd.. and come to say mir is stupid and a waste of time lol

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
      this guy never learn.

i see this guy on a lot of foruns with the same speech. i think this guy is the same who likes and use hurd.. and come to say mir is stupid and a waste of time lol
      Well, I've never used Hurd, although I think it's an interesting project. I don't think you've seen me in any other forums, either. Mir is stupid, it is a waste of time, and I don't see you having any coherent arguments to convince anyone otherwise, LOL ;D

Comment

What's there to like? It's a stupid project born of pure idiocy.
        That's harsh. Everyone has a right to create anything, whether it's perceived as redundant or not by the rest of us. None of the Canonical folks are idiots.

I'd characterize it as a project born of hubris more than anything else. And which one of us isn't guilty of the same thing?

Comment

Well, I've never used Hurd, although I think it's an interesting project. I don't think you've seen me in any other forums, either. Mir is stupid, it is a waste of time, and I don't see you having any coherent arguments to convince anyone otherwise, LOL ;D
          I strongly recommend buying a pair of glasses. Control, cleaner codebase, tests - EOT (End Of Trolling).

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
            None of the Canonical folks are idiots.
            Questionable. Starting with M.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Siekacz View Post
              I strongly recommend buying a pair of glasses. Control, cleaner codebase, tests - EOT (End Of Trolling).
              I'm sorry, do you have two user accounts? Isn't that against the rules or something?

Anyway - control: poor argument, there's no need to be in control of every piece of software in a good Linux distro - in fact, it can be a disadvantage. Canonical isn't in control of the Linux kernel either, yet it works just fine for them and every other Linux distro. Canonical is simply unable to collaborate with others, and in this they lose a very valuable resource, the manpower and knowledge and skill of a lot of developers. Besides, the whole point of "control" is moot, because Wayland is an open standard - Canonical would be free to jump in to the development of the standard and propose any extension they need, and a stable, common API across all Linux OS's would be beneficial to all, and they could still implement their own Wayland compositor and have 100% control of it.

Cleaner codebase - there's no evidence of this being the case. Wayland devs are professional coders, with years of experience of the graphics stack, years of experience patching up and maintaining X so they know what works and what doesn't, and what is the best way to do things. Canonical has none of this, all they can aspire to do is stay behind Wayland and mimic them.

Tests - Martin Gr??lin already made really good arguments as to why test-driven development isn't necessarily the best way to write code. There's plenty of projects that produce excellent code without being test-driven.

What Canonical is doing is harmful to the entire Linux platform. Without Mir, we'd have a common API for almost the entire Linux platform (excluding Android). Canonical was on board with the Wayland plan until a few months ago, and now they seem to be hiring Microsoft "ex-workers" (read: moles) left and right and kissing up Microsoft's ass. Makes you wonder...

Comment

lol

you are more stupid that i think?

if mir was a sucess i want see your opinion then.

hurd is an interesting project? a dead project.

and yes i already see you in another foruns.

i?m not trying to bring favor arguments to mir, i?m not for cannonical or a fanboy, i?m not stupid i?m objective not like you ofc

Comment

lolol

I'm sorry, do you have two user accounts? Isn't that against the rules or something?

Anyway - control: poor argument, there's no need to be in control of every piece of software in a good Linux distro - in fact, it can be a disadvantage. Canonical isn't in control of the Linux kernel either, yet it works just fine for them and every other Linux distro. Canonical is simply unable to collaborate with others, and in this they lose a very valuable resource, the manpower and knowledge and skill of a lot of developers. Besides, the whole point of "control" is moot, because Wayland is an open standard - Canonical would be free to jump in to the development of the standard and propose any extension they need, and a stable, common API across all Linux OS's would be beneficial to all, and they could still implement their own Wayland compositor and have 100% control of it.

Cleaner codebase - there's no evidence of this being the case. Wayland devs are professional coders, with years of experience of the graphics stack, years of experience patching up and maintaining X so they know what works and what doesn't, and what is the best way to do things. Canonical has none of this, all they can aspire to do is stay behind Wayland and mimic them.

Tests - Martin Gr??lin already made really good arguments as to why test-driven development isn't necessarily the best way to write code. There's plenty of projects that produce excellent code without being test-driven.

What Canonical is doing is harmful to the entire Linux platform. Without Mir, we'd have a common API for almost the entire Linux platform (excluding Android). Canonical was on board with the Wayland plan until a few months ago, and now they seem to be hiring Microsoft "ex-workers" (read: moles) left and right and kissing up Microsoft's ass. Makes you wonder...
                  if microsoft cant destroy linux foss why canonical whould do? or can do? "What Canonical is doing is harmful to the entire Linux platform." stupid ideia, liberty of choise man, if was redhat doing something like this? you will criticize them?

itś canonical choise its their problem.

in may way too see linux kernel itś not in control only on control of "linus and company" its the correct way, and i dont heard linus linus torvalds complains about mir

Comment

if microsoft cant destroy linux foss why canonical whould do? or can do? "What Canonical is doing is harmful to the entire Linux platform." stupid ideia, liberty of choise man, if was redhat doing something like this? you will criticize them?
                    Agreed that no one can destroy the foss world, yet what Canonical is doing causes useless fragnmentation => longer uptake time for newer technologies. How many times does it have to be said : at this point, what Canonical tries to do affects us all.
                    Red Hat : yes, I would criticize them, and stay as far from Fedora as I stay from *buntu.
                    It's not hard to see that Michael really really doesn't like Mir.

Hey Michael, how about at least trying to be objective when you talk about canonical and Mir in particular?
                    You must be new here. Every single news item is biased based on Michael's opinion.

Comment

first, i wanted to commend the devs because it appears they are working very fast.

Mir is the answer to canonical when it started to ask around all project manager to have fixed dates for releases so that they could have everything timed for their six-months cicle with all the bugs ironed out. The guy's there are trying to really make an effort to have ubuntu spread over the globe. I don't see any other distro putting not even an ounce of a similar effort. The OEM(no, not the suse/red hat thing where it's only on request and on limited business laptops) connections, the LTS releases, the valve alliance, show me any other distro that is doing this. For as much as i dislike living in a world where everything is powered by opengl( the power consumption as always gone up for me when used)at least we will see a shift in the laptop and desktop paradigma and they're trying to get GNU/linux out of the stigma that has had since birth. And that's good for the ecosystem. If the hardware vendors start to make an effort to really support linux, as some software companies are starting to do, it would mean out-of-the-box support the like windows have never seen( imagine, all drivers inside the kernel, open-source graphic driver following the Intel example) and all the power of linux in the hands of people. Then you will still be able to install Unknown Geek Linux 10 because the basic support is there, and we will have all others that are still running ubuntu, that as bad as it might sound it's light-years away at the prospective of running windows and it's proprietary trap.

Comment

Working...
                      X