Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Tegra DRM Driver Might Appear In Linux 3.8

Phoronix: NVIDIA Tegra DRM Driver Might Appear In Linux 3.8

Back in August a basic DRM driver for the NVIDIA Tegra 2 graphics core appeared but wasn't merged into the Linux kernel. The Tegra DRM driver still hasn't been merged to this day, but it might hit staging with the Linux 3.8 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Meanwhile, we are still waiting for NVIDIA to release some Tegra programming documentation as they promised to do back during XDC2012.
    AFAIK, it already happened.

Comment

Are we talking about independent and full tegra driver? With OSS user space for it?

Comment

Sorry for the newbie question, but aren't these things already in the kernels of all those tegra android devices? Isn't it just a matter of polishing the code which is already available to submitt to the mainline kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
          AFAIK, it already happened.
          Well, you still have to apply for some developer thing, including stating your interests etc., and AFAIK they have to approve you - unlike the Intel and AMD docs. Better than nothing, I guess, but still kinda annoying - I guess they still aren't used to the whole idea of opening things up, but it's a start.

Comment

Originally posted by cwabbott View Post
            Well, you still have to apply for some developer thing, including stating your interests etc., and AFAIK they have to approve you - unlike the Intel and AMD docs. Better than nothing, I guess, but still kinda annoying - I guess they still aren't used to the whole idea of opening things up, but it's a start.
            The approval thing is a bit annoying, but it's not all that bad. At least you (as an individual) can get approved if you go through the registration process. Also you don't need to lie about your intentions, NVidia will approve you if tell them that you are working on some open-source thing. Still a bit annoying to go through, but much better than other companies where you don't get docs at all or only if you are an employee of some sort of partner company.

And as Mupuf said the push of the 2D documentation has already happened. It's available since about two weeks now.

Comment

Working...
            X