Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I act too soon in buying a MoBo with integrated ATI X1250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The driver for "old" gpus is just the "ati" xorg driver, which would switch over to the "radeon" subdriver in that case. Maybe it will be supported sooner or later. fglrx has to work too basically.

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
      The thing is, I already bought it :/
      I've yet to see what future driver releases have in store

glisse:

With your first point, do you mean that the r300/r400/r500 will share the same driver?

And what does "X will finally be a normal client for the OS" mean?

Thanks.
      r300/r400/r500 have very common 3D engine so they should share 3d driver. I don't know the plan of novel on that but i won't work on driver with old mesa & drm infrastructure (as novel might want to support older X they might want to produce such driver).

X being a normal client for the Operating System means that there won't be any heavy driver in X anymore instead X will ask drm to set mode or do stuff and will use things like gallium driver to accelerate its drawing. To sum up there won't be different code messing with the card (present situation card can be reprogrammed by ddx, kernel, framebuffer which often lead to conflict or problem) but drm will be the only kernel module allowed to talk directly to the card. This should make suspend and others things like that a lot easier and more robust.

Comment

Hi again, I have another question:

What OSS driver out there supports my card? the Radeon(through R300/R400 experimental support)? or Avivo(R500 support)? My card is supposed to be R400, but it supports Avivo acceleration features, so I don't know which one it is :/

In Mandriva 2008, which (atleast I think so) ships with recent versions of radeon and avivo, none of them work on my card. the radeon driver causes the screen to go white(with some random pixels as I remember) and avivo fails to even start.

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
          Hi again, I have another question:

What OSS driver out there supports my card? the Radeon(through R300/R400 experimental support)? or Avivo(R500 support)? My card is supposed to be R400, but it supports Avivo acceleration features, so I don't know which one it is :/

In Mandriva 2008, which (atleast I think so) ships with recent versions of radeon and avivo, none of them work on my card. the radeon driver causes the screen to go white(with some random pixels as I remember) and avivo fails to even start.
          There is no support for your card (rs690) in avivo, radeonhd should work. In theory you should be able to have 3d acceleration using r300 but this would need to hack ddx driver and r300 too.

Comment

I think I will try RadeonHD now then.

BTW, the hack you are talking about, is it something you(or any other X.Org dev) are planning to do?

Thanks.

Comment

Sometimes only the ati drivers does not know about the chipset, but forcing radeon can help.

Comment

Didn't help at all :'(

Comment

Working...
                X