• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't argue with that, but I was wondering about :

and do AMD even one better
    Test signature

Comment

Well, I don't know. I can't say that nVidia producing an OSS driver would be better than AMD producing an OSS driver. What I am willing to say though, is that it would be better for the graphics stack and the community as a whole.

I don't think nVidia really cares about the graphics stack or the OSS graphics driver community though. Saying that it would be better and actually having it happen are two very different things.

Comment

Kickstart a License!!!

We definitely need a kickstarter project to pool money, so Nouveau can become an official NVIDIA Kepler licensee and so they can get official hardware documentation through official channel.

(I mean, they pay for the license, just unlike the other licensee, they don't produce actual SoC, they only produce in-house drivers using the documentation that comes with the license. It should proabably be doable, specially if nouveau keeps being implemented clean-room, there should be no risk of unlicensed Nvidia-owned IP (like driver source code from their blob) leaking in the open. It will probably just cost them a fuck-ton of money, specially because they'll need custom licensing terms (the right to write their own drivers and release them open source), but maybe enough interest can build around a kickstart project to fund this).

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
          We definitely need a kickstarter project to pool money, so Nouveau can become an official NVIDIA Kepler licensee and so they can get official hardware documentation through official channel.

(I mean, they pay for the license, just unlike the other licensee, they don't produce actual SoC, they only produce in-house drivers using the documentation that comes with the license. It should proabably be doable, specially if nouveau keeps being implemented clean-room, there should be no risk of unlicensed Nvidia-owned IP (like driver source code from their blob) leaking in the open. It will probably just cost them a fuck-ton of money, specially because they'll need custom licensing terms (the right to write their own drivers and release them open source), but maybe enough interest can build around a kickstart project to fund this).
          This won't work, as mobile Kepler they are eager to license to other parties is not the same thing as PC Kepler. They are two different beasts sharing some common details. There's a great chance high level APIs for accessing desktop Kerpler are different from those employed by their mobile counterpart.

Comment

Not long ago, I was scouring the internet for NVIDIA EGL support announcements/rumors, then the licensing of their Kepler-info came along, and then the info that Canonical provided, regarding the unified EGL-driver.
            I actually thought that NVIDIA had only started their work on EGL recently, but according to http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...b4sTXgA#t=465s they've actually been working on it for about a year (10:28, but the bit in the link leading up to it, is somewhat relevant).
            I havn't got the slightest idea how complex EGL is, but a year seems like quite a bit considering the size of the company.
            I can't help but wonder what's keeping them.

Comment

Working...
            X