Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Unity Changes Aim For More Affiliate Revenue

Phoronix: Ubuntu Unity Changes Aim For More Affiliate Revenue

Changes coming to the Ubuntu 12.10 Unity desktop, namely to its Dash launcher component, are trying to generate Canonical more affiliate revenue through promoting more online purchases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Google

I remember back when they changed search from Google to Yahoo, I didn't like it.

But now I wouldn't mind switching out Google.
    Google used to be a great search engine because it searched what I asked for and it gave me the results I wanted.

Now Google gives the results they want me to have. They are no longer neutral. Sites which they disagree with (such as sites where you can download movies and music for free) are now being punished and have their rank decreased while promoting commercial sites where users can buy media.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I remember back when they changed search from Google to Yahoo, I didn't like it.

Google used to be a great search engine because it searched what I asked for and it gave me the results I wanted.

Now Google gives the results they want me to have. They are no longer neutral. Sites which they disagree with (such as sites where you can download movies and music for free) are now being punished and have their rank decreased while promoting commercial sites where users can buy media.

https://thepiratebay.se/blog/220
      The frightening thing is that I see a lot of people online saying they are okay with this kind of thing because Google is now giving them the results they want instead of having to look through the results themselves or refine their search query. It's kind of funny especially since a lot people are all 'down with rich corporations' rabble rabble these days.

Comment

I've noticed being getting bubbled by google more and more lately, as have people around me. Certainly a worrying trend, when the correct full title of a page/product/etc no longer shows the desired result on the first page for me or for someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

https://thepiratebay.se/blog/220
          Don't they have a legal obligation to not assist people in downloading copyrighted work? I don't want to look at the argument of how illegal is it etc...

But one way of looking at what you said is that: "I don't like Google making it harder for me to illegally download things, especially when they show me how I can purchase it legally."

I would say the prices/delivery methods of said legally purchased content is pretty shit basically, but legal.

I'm no legal expert either (or intermediate)

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
            Don't they have a legal obligation to not assist people in downloading copyrighted work? I don't want to look at the argument of how illegal is it etc...

But one way of looking at what you said is that: "I don't like Google making it harder for me to illegally download things, especially when they show me how I can purchase it legally."

I would say the prices/delivery methods of said legally purchased content is pretty shit basically, but legal.

I'm no legal expert either (or intermediate)
            The issue I have with this is not about copyrighted work. I don't download such illegal, and I know where to find these without Google.

The thing is that the search is not organic.
            I want the search to be organic, I specify keywords and the engine does its best to organically find matches according to my criteria.
            I don't want the results to be tampered with and have useful and relevant matches removed and have less relevant entries added to promote matches of low relevancy due to some agenda.

Comment

Working...
            X