Lockup with fglrx-8.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear you on compiling kernels. Must be getting old :P

Are you able to boot with a regular monitor and no svidio?

Comment

Originally posted by spikethehobbitmage View Post
      I hear you on compiling kernels. Must be getting old :P
      Are you able to boot with a regular monitor and no svidio?
      Yeah, the compiling thrill has left me somewhere during the 2.6.21 series.

otherwise it works normaly on a regular monitor.

Comment

That does narrow things down.

If it works with a monitor and svideo at the same time, then it doesn't like not having a monitor. If it doesn't, then it doesn't like svideo.

That would seem to be a driver problem, as xorg shouldn't be able to tell the difference between monitor types.

If the radeontv driver works with your card, I'd recommend that.

Comment

Could this be your problem:

In short: when the underscan/overscan or size options of my second monitor (a TV) are changed, I don't get X working. When I do:

aticonfig --initial=dual-head -f

(forces the creation of a completely new xorg configuration file with the default underscan/overscan screen size options)

Everything works fine again.

Comment

Thanks

I installed Kubuntu-8.10 and installed Catalyst-8.11 and it finally worked.
            Sadly the whole desktop feels very slow, everything feels soooo sluggish :-/

Comment

It might be worth checking the logs to make sure the kernel module installed OK. Is the system sluggish like "no acceleration at all" or something more moderate ?
              Test signature

Comment

well, no its clearly accalerated, simple operations like copyArea are fast.
                Its just all RENDER stuff is horrible slow, furthermore it seems all pixmaps are allocated in RAM.
                Last edited by Linuxhippy; 22 November 2008, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Well, my problem has been put to rest. I haven't tried 8.11 though, but with 8.12 X started with only TV-out without a problem.

Anyhow, I was hoping for a bit better TV out quality, since the occasional tearing brings no substantial difference to quality of watching as opposed to previously used vesa driver.

Solved for me, then.

Comment

Working...
                  X