Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genode OS Now Has A LiveCD Demo With Gallium3D

Phoronix: Genode OS Now Has A LiveCD Demo With Gallium3D

Back in July we reported that Gallium3D and Intel's GEM were ported to Genode OS. Unless you read that article, chances are you never heard of Genode OS. Genode is a unique, niche operating system that is designed for dynamic workloads while being robust and secure. Genode takes a unique approach with frameworks to offer greater security and be a less complex operating system. It's primarily designed for high-security computing, automotive systems, and other devices requiring high security and/or dependability. Now though a LiveCD of this free operating system is available, which includes support for demonstrating its Gallium3D framework implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You should probably specify that it's based on the L4 kernel for nerd enthusiasts like myself.

Microkernels are the bomb. Mach isn't the fastest thing (in fact, is quite quite slow) but L4 is,

Comment

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
      Microkernels are the bomb
      Tell that to the HURD devs who are still banging their heads on how to fscking debug the bitch

You can find a livecd of Hurd here: http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hur...g/live_cd.html

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        Tell that to the HURD devs who are still banging their heads on how to fscking debug the bitch

You can find a livecd of Hurd here: http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hur...g/live_cd.html
        HURD = Mach. Just because mach isn't the greatest doesn't mean microkernels are bad. MINIX isn't that bad (Although not fit for modern computers for a number of reasons), and L4 is good.

Comment

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
          HURD = Mach. Just because mach isn't the greatest doesn't mean microkernels are bad. MINIX isn't that bad (Although not fit for modern computers for a number of reasons), and L4 is good.
          I like Coyotos a lot more, but by browsing the Wikipedua article it appears that after all these years they decided not to dump Mach, sadly...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            I like Coyotos a lot more, but by browsing the Wikipedua article it appears that after all these years they decided not to dump Mach, sadly...
            I'm pretty sure that HURD is dead..

I'm iffy about Coyotos because of it's BitC-ness. That and the lack of any sort of corporate backing behind it. L4 has a company or at least finances to support themselves.

What I don't get is why Mac is still based on Mach..

Comment

Working...
            X