Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sponsor An Open Source Driver Dev For a $1 a Day???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys, for anyone still interested i this topic I have started a small scale campaign to do some Mesa development. In an effort to better understand if crowd sourcing Mesa development would work I have setup a small project on Indiegogo with the Goal of implementing the GL_KHR_debug extension (OpenGL 4.3). As a stretch goal I aiming to create a bit of a guide to get started with the basics of Mesa development based on my experience. Please feel free to ask me any questions, comment on my idea or in good old Phoronix fashion flame me for whatever your reasons my be.

To view my campaign just go to indiegogo and search for Mesa.

Comment

Maybe we should gather people together that can code and the other group that pays for making code.

Coders would say what they can do and how much would they would like to get paid.

And others that would point what they want and how much they would be able to pay.

I would also like that WINE goes further. I have been thinking if I knew someone who could improve some popular game wine support, I could buy the game for the coder. It's much easier to fix bugs when you have the game yourself.

Maybe we should ask valve too if they are somehow interested to support this project that open source driver gets improvements/money.

Steam box cannot succeed if there is no good drivers (or good games) available.

Comment

Btw I found

GLSL specifications from wikipedia.

Downloadable pdf files.

That's something we want to improve too if we want to gain better opengl support for linux.

That's basically that coder must study.

Anyone interested?

Comment

How much time it takes to make this feature that is currently missing on Mesa?

Are there other features you would be interested in?

Have you any interested of getting WINE better?

Comment

Originally posted by deri View Post
            Maybe we should gather people together that can code and the other group that pays for making code.

Coders would say what they can do and how much would they would like to get paid.

And others that would point what they want and how much they would be able to pay.
            I guess this is the hidden goal behind my campaign. Aside from the implemention of the extension and providing some documentation I hope that this will show more developers that it is possible to fund themselves to do this type of work.

How much time it takes to make this feature that is currently missing on Mesa?
            If you see my campaign page: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/he...utor/x/2053460 I'm commiting myself to 2 weeks of full time development.

Are there other features you would be interested in?
            Work on any other features would depend on the success of this project.

Have you any interested of getting WINE better?
            No sorry this is outside my area of interest.

Comment

I Like the idea.

Just wondering if paying Valve and or amd and or maybe redhat ?, SUSE ? or others companies to hire more developers, would be the easiest way ?
              Don't take the names of the companies I mention to serious, I am not deep enough into the Linux world, to make a judgement, on which companies would serve our goals.
              I am a just a Linux user.

The only problem i see, we need companies we can trust or have real good contracts to make sure the money goes to our goals.

If the project is going to hire people, I fear it will get to complicated ?

Edit. Supporting wine does not sound like a good idea. We want native linux ports, not Lazy companies who make their windows stuff wine compatible.

Comment

You are right about the wine thing. It's better to have good open source driver than having wine improment. If you check mesa what is missing and what's implemented. You can see it's missing a lot GLSL work. I don't know how this GLSL thing really works, but I quess we could save some time if someone would make the lastest version of it and then rip the code out of it to other versions that had been implented earlier.

But if you see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLSL

these pdf files here, it takes a lot of time even to read those specification files.

Comment

Mine is just a hint
                  What about a contest?
                  The FSF may set a goal, for which it starts a donation campaign , after a preset period (like 4 months) the founding stops and the contenst begin with the total received founding as award.
                  This will attract professional people and teams from different istitutions like schools or private teams.
                  Sorry for my english i'm from italy

Comment

Originally posted by yankeex86x View Post
                    Mine is just a hint
                    What about a contest?
                    The FSF may set a goal, for which it starts a donation campaign , after a preset period (like 4 months) the founding stops and the contenst begin with the total received founding as award.
                    This will attract professional people and teams from different istitutions like schools or private teams.
                    Sorry for my english i'm from italy
                    That way you would have several people all working on the same thing, duplicating the effort. You'd end up with 10 implementations of 1 extension rather than several different extensions.

Comment

What was the developer name that patched mesa or something similar and it had huge effect on it and somebody said that should we buy him a good graphic card?

How about if he opened indiegogo account and made something there and we could tip him for the doings he has done so far.

I am willing to tip people who really do something about the performance of open source drivers.

I am constantly on LKML, but the kernel is way too complicate to follow.

I would like to setup myself KDE developement tools, but the kde site is so confusing. No clear advices.

Comment

Working...
                      X