X.Org & CoreBoot FOSDEM Recordings Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
    Perhaps you'd like to donate the 800EUR/day or so required to obtain "professional" quality coverage of the events?
    Not nearly that much is needed... People complained about the coverage last year, so this year I had used a "Flip Mino HD" camera to record with the "Flip tripod" that is recommended. When sitting up in front to get good audio, the angle wasn't perfect. Last year I used a dedicated audio mic that was up close, but it seemed to produce less than desirable results. Most of the talks of the slides are available, so the video feed shouldn't be too relevant as the audio. Now this year people complain over the video.... Most of them are not premium subscribers and chances are they are using AdBlock, so next year will likely produce no results.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      That's what we did originally in past FOSDEMs, but people complained they wanted to see the slides....
      If that is what the videos provided that would be different. What they provide is a _small_ fraction of the slide. Not useful at all. You can't even read an entire line from them.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
        If you can show me that that's what is required to get a video of the quality of the EXT4 talk that I linked to--fine. Otherwise, don't troll.
        Two people plus equipment rental plus some light postprocessing is going to cost real close to 800Eur/day if you hire a professional video house in Brussels. Check the rates yourself, troll.

Comment

Two people plus equipment rental plus some light postprocessing is going to cost real close to 800Eur/day if you hire a professional video house in Brussels. Check the rates yourself, troll.
          And is that what was used (and _required_?) to get a video the quality of the EXT4 video I linked to?

Comment

I don't know if FOSDEM used skilled volunteer labor with their own equipment, or hired a service to record the keynote presentations. You would have to ask them. If you have access to people who know what they're doing and have their own equipment, of course you could do it for less than a professional production house would charge.

I doubt Michael travels with at least prosumer quality video gear, a remote mic and an audio mixer like the ones used to make the video in your link. There's a lot more involved than just setting up a camcorder on a table or tripod and hitting the "record" button.

Michael probably could have done a bit better with what he had, but to get good video you have to have good equipment, a good location from which to work and you have to pay a lot of attention to recording the session rather than to the session itself. You tend to miss what goes on until you have a chance to review the tape.

Comment

And thats not a worthy cause?

You tend to miss what goes on until you have a chance to review the tape.
              And thats not a worthy cause? this isn't programming, this is the placement of a camera and the multiplexing of a mic. video editors get payed for post processing, I would have accepted a small video if it was big enough for me to see when he changed the slides. Once a guy rerecorded a talk he gave for C4 (a mac thing) and made a beep sound when it was time to change slides on the pdf. It was funny because he literally said 'beep' like like the old projector recordings.

Comment

I think maybe Michael failed to proper "exploit" the phoronix community.
                Maybe an article about the situation and what to do *before* FOSDEM would had helped. So something in the line of:
                1. Guys, I want to go to FOSDEM but I don't have proper tools to do the recordings. Tell me what you think would be the best way to do it, what tools should I use (to get a decent recording - not talking about *pro* stuff here)
                2. List the hardware needs, the price and make a page where ppl. can make donations to that you can buy them
                3. Go to FOSDEM and do a proper recording (maybe put an audio recorder in the front raw to get good audio, and record video from another position where the speaker and the slides can be seen
                4. Make available the raw material and ask the phoronix community to do the post processing (I'm sure lot's of ppl could contribute here).

The result would be a better dissemination of FOSDEM talks (and issues) and also a process to build the phoronix community.

Comment

thank you

I think we may have been a little unfair to our volunteer video recorder. Sorry we've been complaining so far. your audio is good and that's better than most YouTube Google Techtalks. Other than camera placement, you did a good job. Thank You

Comment

I also think people don't realize (like I did untill this reply) is that this was just a guy in the audience. I thought it was officially recorded by the FOSDEM event not by a Phoronix member. FOSDEM should record these things. Doesn't any one else remember the name of the foss video website I can't think of?

Comment

Originally posted by dacresbu View Post
                      Doesn't any one else remember the name of the foss video website I can't think of?
                      I think you mean http://video.linuxfoundation.org/ - most of the videos there are embedded from youtube or vimeo and the videos they host themselves seem to be only available with a flash player / as .flv.

Comment

Working...
                      X