Steam Linux Usage Still On The Decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh NOES

I installed the Windows version of Steam after installing the Linux version so I could access a few Windows-only gifts. That nullified my Linux percentage since I bumped the Windows percentage up too.

Moral of the story:

Friggin chill.

and

Valve joining with the Linux platform with their Steam Box and pushing all game development over to the Linux platform will slowly, and mostly in the distant future, allow some Windows gamers to not mind parting ways with Windows, but that isn't something that is going to suddenly happen all at once.

Comment

Portal was promised to be a release title for Steam on Linux, yet it still isn't here. Where is my Portal? It's really the only Steam game I'm likely to play at any point in the near future, and I already have a copy associated with my Steam account, so any day now would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
        Great way to welcome new users.
        Yeah, phoronix forums are da best for this

There shouldn't be any "right" or "wrong" hardware; it should all work.
        You see, with broken os, they dont have any choise but to drop the fault to hardware...

He chose the most popular one, which is what 99% of all non-Linux users are going to do.

For the last time, for Windows users: Ubuntu = Linux. You can complain about it all you want, but the only way Linux ever gets big is if Ubuntu gets big. Canonical is the primary driver of the development of Linux now, not the devs, certainly not Linus, but Ubuntu.
        Yeah, thats very hard, all "pro-linux" users thinks, that ubuntu is not linux, and they dont even understand the structure of linux, that all distros are basically the same thing, it doesnt matter, what distro you use

So basically, don't bother using the second largest GPU manufacturer on the OS...
        Yes, just like windows vs linux or anything else - in theory - well, second place, sounds good, but if you would look at real numbers - its a joke

Good for you. Apparently, the user doesn't agree.

Your post, basically, highlights why most devs like me don't bother with Linux. Compared to Windows, its still a toy.
        Yep.

Comment

There are few games (absolutely none that I want, that I don't already have in Steam on Windows)

The Steam client only runs on a limited number of distros (none that I would use) and it and most (all?) games would require the 32 bit "multilib" which I also don't do.

I have been very happy with what Valve is trying to do, but personally I can't be arsed... I've got a lot of games tied up in Windows (i.e. I'm going to need it anyway), since I resigned myself to it when Epic fucked us around with Unreal Tournament 3. I had to install Windows if I wanted to play it, the Linux port never came and I started buying other games and now it's way out of control.

I still play Unreal Tournament 2004 on Linux (thanks to icculus, the patches added a 64 bit binary and all I have to do is drop some properly compiled 64 bit libraries in the game's "system" directory. OpenAL, SDL, libstdc++.so.5 from gcc 3.3 etc.). That directory has been copied from different computers since I bought it in 2004. I wish everything was still that simple.

I also play a few open source games, like Sauerbraten (and friends), Alien Arena and the old Nexuiz.

I used to play Doom 3 (and friends), Quake 3 Arena and Quake 4 but I gave those up when I started using 64 bit Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
            For the last time, for Windows users: Ubuntu = Linux. You can complain about it all you want, but the only way Linux ever gets big is if Ubuntu gets big. Canonical is the primary driver of the development of Linux now, not the devs, certainly not Linus, but Ubuntu.
            If you said primary driver of marketing then maybe, but saying they are the primary driver of development, and not the devs, is fairly nonsensical.

Comment

Your post, basically, highlights why most devs like me don't bother with Linux. Compared to Windows, its still a toy.
              That is the funniest line ever.
              Linux is the "toy" that runs on 99% of supercomputer and critical system infrastructure, instead of windows, that runs on 99% of useless pc home for play videogames between an youtube video and another one.
              Is linux capable of wonderful performance on pc home for games? Yes.
              The proof is that with certain hardware you can outperform windows. This proof that there is nothing wrong in linux di-per-se, it's a drivers problem (and the drivers are *not* a windows merit).
              Is windows capable of wonderful performance on supercomputer? No.
              End of discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
                I used to play Doom 3 (and friends), Quake 3 Arena and Quake 4 but I gave those up when I started using 64 bit Linux.
                If you ever get the itch to play them again for whatever reason you could just use dhewm3 or ioquake3 with native 64-bit support.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
                  Linux is the "toy" that runs on 99% of supercomputer and critical system infrastructure, instead of windows
                  It's obvious that his context was in the desktop space.

And it's not just drivers. It's the fact that window managers and DEs aren't up to snuff.

Comment

I have a Steam account, but still can't get it to work properly...

I run Debian Sid (64-bit) and hope for that precious wheeze release to speed things up.

Comment

Torchlight

I was hoping Steam would make Torchlight available for Linux, but so far it does not seem to be there. Also I accidentally purchased Torchlight 2 because I thought it would work with Linux, but I was wrong. So I wonder how many Linux users have done that.

Comment

Working...
                      X