• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
    Piranha 7 is available for Linux and Mac OS X
    Piranha 7 for Linux and MacOSX
    now available at

US $995
    These nutjobs want a replacement for Final Cut Pro (which Lightworks isn't and won't be as it is useless without their hardware) not a dedicated solution for a Hollywood Studio.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
      These nutjobs want a replacement for Final Cut Pro (which Lightworks isn't and won't be as it is useless without their hardware) not a dedicated solution for a Hollywood Studio.
      Where do you get this notion that Lightworks is 'useless without their hardware', exactly?

I'm running Lightworks right now in both Ubuntu and Archlinux. The test machine has an nvidia card, Phenom II x4, 8gig of ram ~ which is nothing crazy, so i don't see why i would need their hardware. You can do most things with a keybaord, so that doesn't slow you down and aside from (currently) disabled features, and the odd (known) quirky behavior, LW runs quite nice...

It's crashed twice on me, both times i wasn't able to reproduce the behavior - but already in the 2nd alpha release/download bugs have been fixed.

I think that gnome-dev is wasting his breath. Lightworks is going to be great for users and of benefit as a whole. for chose whom want/need some of the licensed codecs/plugins - they are free to upgrade. ie: lightworks is not crippled in that way... The code is supposed to be eventually opened, so let's let most of the common bugs worked out and have LW hit the masses - may be once there is a stable release, the source code will follow. after all, it's still early in the the alpha (even if LW has been talked about for the last couple of years)...

Comment

I've been following the lightworks project and discussing on their forums about the source code and such. They have a roadmap and they are focussing atm to port lightwork to linux then to MacOSx according to some employees they are getting some big difficulties since their source code entirely windows APIs dependent forcing them to rewrite most of the code. With millions of lines of code and 20ish years dependent on MS shit it ain't a easy thing to do.

Comment

Kdenlive: Sexy looks,

Originally posted by Del_ View Post
          I have used kdenlive for my editing needs, and I would like to know exactly why I should use anything else. Maybe somebody can shed light on what it is that I am missing out on?
          When Kdenlive works, it's beautiful. Not perfect, but an interface and workflow that I love (far more than that of Lightworks). That said, for many video formats, they look fine when you're editing, but lose more and more sync between audio and video as you get past about a minute of rendering. I've tried for literally *weeks* to fix problems with this, more than once over many years (including just a couple of months ago). The problem is that it doesn't just shift the audio earlier or later, but also speeds it up or slows it down. It makes it into an absolute nightmare to try and fix, and of course you often don't even discover the problem until you're just about finished a project, have invested a lot of time into it and now don't have the time to migrate elsewhere.

This isn't something that's happened once or twice for me. It's happened every. single. time. I've tried to use Kdenlive for a serious video (at least 8 distinct projects each at least 6 months apart). Infuriatingly, it usually looks just fine when you do a simple quick test. Then you do all your work only to find out it's unusable.

I would *love* kdenlive to get these issues fixed once and for all (yes, I've tried filing bugs on their tracker and discussing with devs across various channels). Sadly, every time I try to actually help get these issues solves, they get brushed off as either "Works for me!" or "upstream's problem". I'm having trouble accepting that this is always the case though, as I've tested across around 7 machines, 5 distro's (not just new releases of 1 distro), both ATI/Nvidia cards with both open and closed drivers, more versions of FFMPEG than I care to recall (including compiled straight from trunk) over around 5 years now.

These problems just keep coming back consistently. If they didn't I would *gladly* switch to Kdenlive for all my editing needs. Heck, I even would have happily set up a bounty with the money that I ended up having to spend on a commercial editor and Windows. I just don't trust that it wouldn't break again 2 months later. It's just a case of burned too many times to waste my time trying again until I hear a reason to believe it may actually be different now. I had high hope for the restructure, but if you read the mailing list, the developer basically ran out of money leaving the refactoring, and I quote: "far from complete". He promises he'll have more time to work on it "next week" (this was in May) and has never posted anything on the subject again.

*sigh*

Anyway, that's what *I* found I was missing out on with Kdenlive. The ability to actually render a project with working sound.

Lightworks on Windows (sadly) by contrast, actually works. Hopefully the Linux version will, too.
          Last edited by Mr_Alien_Overlord; 12 November 2012, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Alien_Overlord View Post
            When Kdenlive works, it's beautiful. Not perfect, but an interface and workflow that I love (far more than that of Lightworks). That said, for many video formats, they look fine when you're editing, but lose more and more sync between audio and video as you get past about a minute of rendering. I've tried for literally *weeks* to fix problems with this, more than once over many years (including just a couple of months ago). The problem is that it doesn't just shift the audio earlier or later, but also speeds it up or slows it down. It makes it into an absolute nightmare to try and fix, and of course you often don't even discover the problem until you're just about finished a project, have invested a lot of time into it and now don't have the time to migrate elsewhere.
            See, it really does work for me just fine. I have never encountered such an issue, and just two days ago I rendered two 10-minute long videos that required near frame-perfect synchronisation. And when rendered, it came out exactly as what was shown in the program. Maybe you're using some other output format or transforming some of the clips in an odd way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Alien_Overlord View Post
              When Kdenlive works, it's beautiful. Not perfect, but an interface and workflow that I love (far more than that of Lightworks). That said, for many video formats, they look fine when you're editing, but lose more and more sync between audio and video as you get past about a minute of rendering.
              I haven't seen this issue, but I have experienced trouble with various formats. What did the trick for me was to follow the tip in that link I gave, just move to the second part, under Notes on video formats here:
              In the previous article in this series, we reviewed the different methods of importing footage into Kdenlive, best practises in organizing project files, and the layout and tools provided by Kdenlive. In this article, we will discuss advanced editing techniques and review most of the tools you'll be using on a day to day basis as a video editor.

and convert everything to lossless Matroska before starting editing.

They did have a fund raiser before summer where you could sponsor your own feature for $1000 (if I remember correctly), so they are definitely willing to listen to money

Comment

Mingw

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
                I've been following the lightworks project and discussing on their forums about the source code and such. They have a roadmap and they are focussing atm to port lightwork to linux then to MacOSx according to some employees they are getting some big difficulties since their source code entirely windows APIs dependent forcing them to rewrite most of the code. With millions of lines of code and 20ish years dependent on MS shit it ain't a easy thing to do.
                Why don't they make a release for mingw then for the community to help?

Comment

Originally posted by hosh-blot View Post
                  Seriously its not even released yet, after its released and then its not as open as It should be then complain not before, It would take along time to comb through millions of lines to make sure its sutable for release as a open project.
                  Originally posted by ninez
                  The code is supposed to be eventually opened, so let's let most of the common bugs worked out and have LW hit the masses - may be once there is a stable release, the source code will follow. after all, it's still early in the the alpha (even if LW has been talked about for the last couple of years)...
                  I think you guys just missed the point of the original author's article entirely. Go re-read it (and the comments section is interesting too).

You think that gnome dev isn't aware of the legal mess EditShare is in when it comes to opening a 1M+ LoC codebase with 20 years of history? Come on, that guy isn't dumb

Comment

for the blog post? another bad example of open source developers, advocates etc doing bad to linux... We need professional tools on linux.

about the video editors on linux?
                    Tried kdenlive a year ago, managed to produce two videos (one of them), hated every minute of working on it, crashed all the time, problems with timing and more...
                    pitivi, lives, openshot... are just ...., really come on....
                    ended up doing job on blender, produced these there are about 50 or sth of these
                    didn't love it, but didn't hate it either (the usage of clips, and the definition of them in blender is kinda problematic for me)
                    tried lightworks (on windows, I don't have sample yet) and absolutely loved it... Yes, it has some problems with formats etc but that problems are fixable with opensource tools (ffmpeg or ffmbc)

Comment

Originally posted by kiddo View Post
                      You think that gnome dev isn't aware of the legal mess EditShare is in when it comes to opening a 1M+ LoC codebase with 20 years of history? Come on, that guy isn't dumb
                      well if he is (aware of the legal mess), he doesn't really believes it's true, maybe he is just playing( dumb)?:
                      Originally posted by blog author
                      Although I do have some faith that they might release it eventually, personally, after two years of waiting, I?m even beginning to seriously doubt that. I?m not saying that EditShare wishes to do evil or just throw a marketing ploy together; I heard the numerous justifications/excuses along the lines of ?we?ve got bigger priorities?, ?we have a reputation to uphold? and ?we?re stuck in legal review?, I just don?t buy those arguments.

Comment

Working...
                      X