Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Edge: The First Ubuntu Smartphone Next Week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
    You don't say 'NO' to GPS and NFC, as these feature are easily turned off if you want to save power.
    It's not merely about saving power. It's also protection against them being turned on remotely against my will.

There is a documented protocol for forcing the GPS on remotely, and sending the exact location. Cell tower triangulation has an accuracy of ~100m, GPS has an accuracy of 1m; cell tower connection is required to be able to communicate, GPS is not.
    Therefore there would be no harm in having a physical switch for the GPS power; I can turn it on when I need mapping.

The NFC concern is not about location, but about money and exploits. The "mobile wallet" initiatives have a charge that can be drawn without authorization, 25 eur in one of them. This means that should a crook be able to turn it on via an exploit, he can repeatedly charge you for 24,99 and drain your account from several dozen meters away, with you none the wiser.

Battery life of a week is pushing it. Most phones only last a day of use. Stand-by is another matter.
    My current phone lasts two weeks, my previous phone did 3 when new, the ones before that were 1-2 weeks. It's in no way pushing it, only the "smart" phones can only do a day. It's a terrible regression, and I would never switch to a worse phone - one that did less than a week.

That would finally remove the need to recompile the NDK part of an android app for every cpu architecture it should run on ;-)
    Intel has an interpreter, so you don't have to compile for x86.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      My current phone lasts two weeks, my previous phone did 3 when new, the ones before that were 1-2 weeks. It's in no way pushing it, only the "smart" phones can only do a day. It's a terrible regression, and I would never switch to a worse phone - one that did less than a week.
      My Google Galaxy Nexus lasts 7 days. All you have to do is disable mobile internet and W-Lan and keep the screen off most of the time :-D

/edit: My record is 9 days and a few hours
      Last edited by droste; 21 July 2013, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
        Source?
        I would love to see that C/C++ to Dalvik bytecode compiler.
        That would finally remove the need to recompile the NDK part of an android app for every cpu architecture it should run on ;-)
        Well, the NDK compiles to native binaries and it's true that they aren't strictly run inside the Dalvik VM
        but Dalvik sorts of controls it. You would still have the start up time of dalvik and you would still have the
        extra memory required to have it running.

Comment

The NFC concern is not about location, but about money and exploits. The "mobile wallet" initiatives have a charge that can be drawn without authorization, 25 eur in one of them. This means that should a crook be able to turn it on via an exploit, he can repeatedly charge you for 24,99 and drain your account from several dozen meters away, with you none the wiser.
          Except that NFC has an approx max range of 0.2 meters, not 12.

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
            Except that NFC has an approx max range of 0.2 meters, not 12.
            Directed antennas with more powerful transmitters, and voila.

Comment

inb4 citation needed.

Moreover, Bluetooth pairing has been shown to be susceptible to attack by eavesdroppers equipped with sensitive
              directional antennas, which enable attackers to breach the security of the system
              from more than a mile away [5,17]
              This limits the working range of NFC links to a few centimeters [1]. While obviously a
              good fit for many use cases, NFC is not without issues: like traditional radio
              transmissions, the range of the inductive loading can be drastically increased by
              eavesdropping with a large antenna – a large loop of wire in the case of NFC
              Different tech, so not as large ranges as bt and wifi, but far over a few cm.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                The ubuntu phone has a feature that is really interesting from my POV. The ability to connect it to a screen and fire up a full DE.

Yes that will be one of the selling points, but they need to still work out how they will allow conventional desktop programs work on a phone. Will it run in a container that handles the detection of the onscreen keyboard location so as not to cover important areas or will desktop programs only be able to run when docked or hooked to screen/keyboard/mouse.

Canonical still needs a phone at the cutting edge of features but with a super cheap price. Obviously Canonical isn't locking themselves to a single phone.

Comment

It's not merely about saving power. It's also protection against them being turned on remotely against my will.
                  I don't want NFC for google wallet. I want it for mounting into an audio amplifier unit and it becoming my music and movie player.

There is a documented protocol for forcing the GPS on remotely, and sending the exact location. Cell tower triangulation has an accuracy of ~100m, GPS has an accuracy of 1m; cell tower connection is required to be able to communicate, GPS is not.
                  Therefore there would be no harm in having a physical switch for the GPS power; I can turn it on when I need mapping.
                  GMO foods are known to be toxic and cause infertility and stomach irritations/cancers. That doesn't mean we forego all food. ...so if phone features are being exploited by corrupt Government we need to get rid of them and have open document policies, rather than remove our standards of living.

Another way of saying this is I agree with most of what you are saying but I oppose dropping hardware features in-spite of others' corruption.

In my own life I refuse to have a smart-meter as the features are not beneficial to me or my community. I don't eat GMOs. I've given up meat eating for health/moral choices. I don't get weaponised vaccines and rarely get sick. I will never directly pay for or accept carbon-taxes. You are talking to someone that knows about control grids and organised corruption. I'm not desperate to compromise my privacy and freedoms. I believe I can calculate and manage to the situations I make.

Comment

Who uses google wallet anymore? Future is in cryptocurrency.

Comment

* battery life: 1 week minimum of normal use, preferably 3-4 weeks
                      Then buy a Nokia 3310...

Comment

Working...
                      X