Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Ubuntu 10.04 Achieve Its Ten Second Boot Goal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I updated from 9.10 on my gma4500mhd powered laptop, yet I see no plymouth, in fact the whole boot process looks like a mess with debug/error(though harmless) messages. What's plymouth supposed to look like on ubuntu with KMS?

Comment

10.4 boots slower than 9.10 :/ now its 20s before I had like ~12s.

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
        10.4 boots slower than 9.10 :/ now its 20s before I had like ~12s.
        That looks like side effect of the upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04.

Comment

While it's good you have the full bootchart images for completeness, a simple graph plotting distro vs. time (s) would be appreciated as an excutive summary

Comment

Keep in mind the focus for the 10 second goal on netbooks was changed to apply to a UNE session boot not a full gnome session as far as I am aware. Although gnome did benefit a lot from the speed boosts, it does have a few things slowing it down that aren't in UNE like compiz (UNE uses mutter).

There are some charts here for a full gnome session on a dell mini 10v though that may be interesting

uwgandalf: There are some problems you could be hitting if you have a custom fstab holding up plymouth from loading until really late since they decided not to put it in the initrd for everyone unless they have cryptsetup installed. Running these two commands from a terminal should make it much nicer looking though, I recommend everyone using KMS on lucid to do it

echo FRAMEBUFFER=y | sudo tee /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
            sudo update-initramfs -u

to revert it just sudo rm /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash and sudo update-initramfs -u.

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
              That looks like side effect of the upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04.
              nope, clean 10.04RC install.

Comment

standardized procedure...

>After installing Ubuntu i386 to each netbook (except for the x86_64 edition with the ASUS 1201N.
                You are meant to compare the devices in EQUAL conditions!
                It might not have had a huge effect on the boot time, but still, I consider this as bad manners and something that you should be more careful with in future tests. I understand that phoronix is place of numbers, benchmarks and comparison charts, but if you want to keep it like that, at least FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE!

Also, is it that difficult make a little bar chart comparing boot time in addition to bootchart output? You know, it is not very netbook friendly if you just want to get the general idea and instead of having a quick look at the bar chart I have to click on the bootchart output and scroll around.

Comment

I didn't measure the time. But my Netbook boots "fast enough". It may be more than 10s but not much.

On my desktop it's also very fast. In fact POST takes much longer than to get to the login screen of both Windows 7 or Ubuntu 9.10.

Comment

Originally posted by Misel View Post
                    I didn't measure the time. But my Netbook boots "fast enough". It may be more than 10s but not much.

On my desktop it's also very fast. In fact POST takes much longer than to get to the login screen of both Windows 7 or Ubuntu 9.10.
                    That is probably because you have AHCI activated in BIOS which slow things down on some motherboards (e.g. my ASUS P5B). It takes me ~30s to get until grub and only ~17s to get to gdm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarvatt View Post
                      uwgandalf: There are some problems you could be hitting if you have a custom fstab holding up plymouth from loading until really late since they decided not to put it in the initrd for everyone unless they have cryptsetup installed. Running these two commands from a terminal should make it much nicer looking though, I recommend everyone using KMS on lucid to do it

echo FRAMEBUFFER=y | sudo tee /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
                      sudo update-initramfs -u

to revert it just sudo rm /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash and sudo update-initramfs -u.
                      This makes Plymouth work as it should! Thanks Sarvatt!

Comment

Working...
                      X