Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I act too soon in buying a MoBo with integrated ATI X1250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I act too soon in buying a MoBo with integrated ATI X1250?

Hi,
    I was at a period of upgrading my PC, and I wanted to buy a motherboard with integrated ATi Radeon X1250, since it was very very cheap over here, and it is supposed to fit my 3D needs. But I was uneasy about this since ATI wasn't supporting linux (before the announcement of specs)

After the announcement of the R500 specs, and seeing that fglrx will get massive performance improvements, I went ahead and bought that mobo.

But now I feel like regretting that I bought this MoBo, since untill now I haven't heard of any R400 documents released (X1250 is based on R400 as I've heard).

SO Michael, since you know a lot more about this than me, do you know if ATI will release documents for their GPUs older than the R500, like the R300/R400? And when will that be?

Thanks.

anyone?

Ahmad Yasser

Comment

Hi,

Sorry didn't see this thread earlier. Yes, AMD will release specs for GPUs older than the R500. However, that will take time as they will not be doing that until they finish giving out the R500 and R600 specs.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It's no problem, at least you replied
        It's relieving to hear that they'll release specs for the older cards. I just hope that won't take long

BTW, will the OSS driver for ATI cards in general have slower 3D performance than fglrx?

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
          It's no problem, at least you replied
          It's relieving to hear that they'll release specs for the older cards. I just hope that won't take long

BTW, will the OSS driver for ATI cards in general have slower 3D performance than fglrx?
          For the Radeon driver, yes.

For the RadeonHD driver, likely.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael, when the R300 + R400 specs are out, will they be integrated in the radeonhd driver, will there be a new driver or will older open source drivers for these cards be improved? Is it clear yet?

Comment

My guess would be that the normal radeon driver gets improved. Because of two reasons:
              1) The architecture for r500+ is *very* different to the previous architecture so a huge part would be rewritten.
              2) Basically the whole 2D part is already working and the driver can only improve by better 3D performance plus some other small extras like TV out and such. Why should they throw away a perfectly working driver and rewrite it, rewriting is always a whole lot of work...

So my guess would be that specs for <r500 will "just" lead to improvements in the old driver. Though I don't expect too much for the nearer future since basic stuff already is working nicely, just 3D performance is basically close to zero (but agilx works...)

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
                Hi,
                I was at a period of upgrading my PC, and I wanted to buy a motherboard with integrated ATi Radeon X1250, since it was very very cheap over here, and it is supposed to fit my 3D needs. But I was uneasy about this since ATI wasn't supporting linux (before the announcement of specs)

After the announcement of the R500 specs, and seeing that fglrx will get massive performance improvements, I went ahead and bought that mobo.

But now I feel like regretting that I bought this MoBo, since untill now I haven't heard of any R400 documents released (X1250 is based on R400 as I've heard).

SO Michael, since you know a lot more about this than me, do you know if ATI will release documents for their GPUs older than the R500, like the R300/R400? And when will that be?

Thanks.
                don't make that mistake to buy a mobo with a x1250 card on it.

you can't watch any videos with these card yet. also the opensource driver isn't working until now (they are working on it) but still there will be more months to go, to see accelerated videos...

su i don't think you will get happy, the competitors have better linux drivers and also a product with same speed & price.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
                  My guess would be that the normal radeon driver gets improved. Because of two reasons:
                  1) The architecture for r500+ is *very* different to the previous architecture so a huge part would be rewritten.
                  2) Basically the whole 2D part is already working and the driver can only improve by better 3D performance plus some other small extras like TV out and such. Why should they throw away a perfectly working driver and rewrite it, rewriting is always a whole lot of work...

So my guess would be that specs for <r500 will "just" lead to improvements in the old driver. Though I don't expect too much for the nearer future since basic stuff already is working nicely, just 3D performance is basically close to zero (but agilx works...)
                  The plan (at least the way i plan to contribute to all this):
                  - new gallium driver for r300/r400/r500 family as 3D engine are very close. Emphasis will be but on correctness and performance.
                  - add TTM support to radeon & r200 which i think would give a performance improvement
                  - DDX driver (avivo, radeon, radeonhd) will be replaced by kernel modesetting ie X will finaly be a normal client for the os

Of course others my not share my thought and wishes on this.

Comment

don't make that mistake to buy a mobo with a x1250 card on it.

you can't watch any videos with these card yet. also the opensource driver isn't working until now (they are working on it) but still there will be more months to go, to see accelerated videos...

su i don't think you will get happy, the competitors have better linux drivers and also a product with same speed & price.
                    The thing is, I already bought it :/
                    I've yet to see what future driver releases have in store

glisse:

With your first point, do you mean that the r300/r400/r500 will share the same driver?

And what does "X will finally be a normal client for the OS" mean?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X