• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
    http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SO-1401178PL34

suse 13.1 kde+ radeon 7790+ gtk2-oxygen
    Buttons are so slow.

Btw:

Catalyst is definitely not using OpenGL output or uses some scheduling/grouping/buffering mechanism, minimizing the context switch on every command.
    They are outside of being "comparable".

Comment

And I always keep hearing Catalyst sucks at 2d!

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        And I always keep hearing Catalyst sucks at 2d!
        Problem is that "2D" is a catch-all term covering a wide range of different things, from line-drawing to video playback to the graphics memory manager's ability to deal with a lot of simultaneous graphics activities (eg compositor plus desktop plus apps). Each of these involves different code, different hardware, and different levels of suckage across the different HW and driver offerings.

My impression was that Catalyst *used* to suck at the kind of 2D things measured here but that was greatly improved over the last couple of years.

The depressing thing is that software rendering into a shadow buffer still seems to be the fastest for *these* 2D operations, although of course that falls down if you try to *scroll* a big screen with software rendering. When you see reports that "switching to EXA" makes 2D operations go faster with radeonSI that's not really HW accelerated EXA they're running AFAIK, it's software rendering into a shadow buffer (which is really fast for small operations, which is what you get on typical 2D benchmarks).

Of course the downside of switching to EXA with GCN hardware is losing 3D acceleration as well and falling back to llvmpipe. The real solution is to improve glamor so that more drawing functions are hardware accelerated rather than SW rendering without shadowfb, and that is happening now.
        Last edited by bridgman; 18 January 2014, 12:41 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
          He's using those repository (created by him!) to get the latest mesa/llvm from git, and the latest kernel rc.
          http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.1/
          http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.1/
          ah pontostroy - nice
          I am using his stuff myself
          overlooked his name

so why then are the differences so big?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            The real solution is to improve glamor so that more drawing functions are hardware accelerated rather than SW rendering without shadowfb, and that is happening now.
            Yeah, the slowest things in gtkperf are line drawing and the circles test, mostly because their fallbacks are unoptimized. There have been recent attempts to improve the worst case scenarios for line drawing (which was making certain workflows unusable), but I haven't seen anything for the circles test yet.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much effort I should put into it, given that it sounds like Eric Anholt has some pretty major optimization work that he's preparing for review/merging in the hopefully-near future which will do much more than just incremental improvements to parts of glamor.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
              so why then are the differences so big?
              I'm not sure, but it won't stop me from hypothesizing

Michael's system is an APU while Pontostroy's using a dedicated GPU. The APU has a core clock of 720MHz and the RAM is DDR3 clocked at 2133MHz. The APU is also sharing the 5MB of L2 cache. The 7790 has a core clock 1050MHz and uses 2GB of dedicated DDR5 memory clocked at 1500MHz (effective clock of 6400Mhz).

The CPU and GPU cores on the APU are sharing the thermal head room, though I don't think the CPU is using much of it during these benchmarks. More benchmarks would be needed to see if it is a hardware limitation or software regression.

Comment

http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SO-1401178PL34

suse 13.1 kde+ radeon 7790+ gtk2-oxygen
                Ubuntu 13.10 stock + lowly Pentium G840 (Sandy Bridge HD Graphics): http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SO-1401184SO59

Spoiler alert: the Pentium wins 12 out of 25 tests and only comes out last in 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                  ...but I haven't seen anything for the circles test yet.
                  Serious question -- other than 2D benchmarks, are circles actually used any more ?
                  Test signature

Comment

You use SNA, intel+glamor up to 100 times slower than intel+sna
                    OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

You use SNA, intel+glamor up to 100 times slower than intel+sna
                      http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SO-1401199SO68
                      One, those aren't that bad in most cases. Two, I wonder if an Intel Pentium APU would outperform a glamor top end AMD card due to the performance gap.

Comment

Working...
                      X