Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.12 Brings Big AMD Radeon Improvements

Phoronix: Linux 3.12 Brings Big AMD Radeon Improvements

The Linux 3.12 kernel when released in the coming weeks will bring a number of new features and improvements to AMD Radeon graphics cards, including faster performance. For many Linux games tested the Radeon Gallium3D OpenGL frame-rates were making double-digit gains through upgrading the Linux kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice results!
    I'll celebrate the day phoronix Radeon FOSS benchmarks are being compared with catalyst.

Comment

Mother of GOD! what a big improvement, but it was felt on the HD 7000 series too?

Comment

Impressive. I seem to remember that radeon was not that far away of Catalyst, this could bring it on par or even ahead, at least on the tested benchmarks.
        So two questions for the AMD devs :

- What's in the 3.12 kernel that brings such a large performance increase?
        - Is this increase supposed to occur on the whole Radeon range of cards or was Michael just (un)lucky to pick the one that sees the best results?

Comment

Originally posted by rvdboom View Post
          - Is this increase supposed to occur on the whole Radeon range of cards or was Michael just (un)lucky to pick the one that sees the best results?
          Quoted for importance.

Comment

Originally posted by rvdboom View Post
            Pretty sure it sayes what happned right in the article, should also affect most GPUs.
            a major ring handling clean-up, removal of old 3D blit code to now handle buffer object moves with the CP DMA / sDMA engines

Comment

How can I run this exact test suite on my machine?

Comment

These are definitely great improvements.
                Would be interesting to see a direct comparison against fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                  These are definitely great improvements.
                  Would be interesting to see a direct comparison against fglrx.
                  Yes it would, both fglrx and Catalyst on Windows.

Comment

Are there any visual glitch as you mention sometimes ? Incorrect rendering sometimes leads to better performance (filters not applied, textures missing).

Comment

Working...
                    X