Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI HD 2400Pro no direct rendering (gentoo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The AMD/ATI website says that HD2400 have an AVIVO chip (which is why I got a 2400HD card) so maybe should I use the Avivo driver instead of the fglrx "normal" one.
    A tutorial is online: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=777&num=1

I'll try that next week (because I don't have access to my so-called HD-Box until then).

Comment

Okay, so I got to try the radeonhd and avivo drivers.
      The Radeonhd doesn't support "Component" plugin yet (or at least, that is what Gentoo's manual says (man radeonhd), I used Portage), so it totally useless to me as my computer is plugged-into my HDTV though the Component (viva real hd!). So when I try to start X, radeonhd simply says it found screens but none are usable.
      About the Avivo driver, when I went on their webpage, the last commit was Thu, 4 Oct 2007, so it seems kind of a dead project... (http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=avi....git;a=summary).

Then, I reinstalled fglrx to see if any changes were made in a week but I still get the Glesx.so problem (backtrace and all that crap).

Finally, I decided to boot under windows XP and try to get the latests ATI/AMD drivers. So, I got on their website, go to download the one for the 2400HD card and see: "Driver for 2400HD (PCIe only)". Great! ATI didn't even make a driver for the AGP card yet!!! Woohoo! Kudos for ATI! They sell a card for which they didn't even make drivers for!! Now how f**king useless is that?! What a rip-off!
      Dang, this is the first and last time I *ever* make a mistake like this one: buying an ATI graphic card...

Comment

There was a hotfix driver published recently for HD2xxx AGP Windows products. Please reply back here if you don't find the link.

We're working on the same support for Linux.
        Test signature

Comment

Oh, sorry, I wasn't aware of the hotfix. All I did was go on the AMD website, click on "ati drivers" (or something like that) then "get the latest drivers" and there wasn't any mention of 2400HD AGP version.
          Anyways, I googled it and fell here: http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...estionID=29837

That didn't help at all. When I lanuch the setup, everything seems to work correctly then a nice error says that my "video or my operating system is not supported. Setup will exit." (It something along that line, I've just translated it from French). That is same error message I got with catalyst 8.something I tried to install yesterday (not knowing there was any hotfix)...
          I suppose that is not the correct link since it doesn't work.

Comment

That link seems to go to an older driver (7.9). Give me a minute...
            Last edited by bridgman; 09 February 2008, 02:26 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

OK, here we go. Try this :

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...estionID=31625
              Last edited by bridgman; 09 February 2008, 02:29 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Thanks for your help but the link didn't go though. There "..." in the link.

Comment

Originally posted by N-0-X View Post
                  Thanks for your help but the link didn't go though. There "..." in the link.
                  I broke the link while pasting it to a new post. I was probably fixing while you were clicking

Please refresh this page and try again.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Swoopy View Post
                    I haven't done anything with HD on my 2600XT AGP yet, so I can't comment to that.
                    radeonhd at the moment is JUST a display driver - it displays my desktop in 24 bit colour. That's it.
                    There's no 3d Acceleration, not even 2d acceleration (still, it's faster on my system than fglrx without DRI) so if your CPU gets busy, video tearing is occasionally visible (and you have to use the x11 (Ximage/shm) video port to play back in Mplayer or derivatives).

2d acceleration is around the corner, with 3d likely following close behind, but radeonhd can't hold a candle yet to the features I got used to when I had an NVidia 6600 GT card in my system.

Still, radeonhd is the best option available to me right now, for my HD2600XT AGP. Most important for me under Linux is to be able to work on photo-editing, e-mail and internet browsing and with radeonhd, I can do that.
                    That's interesting. I have a geforce 6200 agp and I'm very satisfied with that card. If AMD someday delivers a driver that enables all the features of HD 2600 agp on linux, what extra features are you expecting to get compared to your GF 6600?

Comment

Originally posted by kreib View Post
                      That's interesting. I have a geforce 6200 agp and I'm very satisfied with that card. If AMD someday delivers a driver that enables all the features of HD 2600 agp on linux, what extra features are you expecting to get compared to your GF 6600?
                      I got the HD2600XT AGP as a speed upgrade for Direct3D games in Windows XP, and DirectX10 support, should the move to Vista (more and more interesting Vista-only FPS coming out) prove interesting enough to make me do it.

For Linux, there were no benefits in my move from nv6600GT AGP to Ati HD2600XT AGP, rather the contrary.

Comment

Working...
                      X