Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by entropy View Post
    That would've been my question as well.

Does it mean they got some (inofficial) support by nVidia?
    Or - Are the devs that good?
    Or - Is it that easy?
    The devs are *very* good and it's *not* that easy
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
      That would've been my question as well.

Does it mean they got some (inofficial) support by nVidia?
      According to nVidia they aren't getting any help at all.

Or - Are the devs that good?
      That would be my guess.

Or - Is it that easy?
      I doubt it

Comment

Sweeeeet.

I have the nVidia GeForce 9400M GS. I expect Ubuntu 10.10 will ship working Noveau+Compiz, which should triple the noveau userbase and really provide a lot of testing.

What's really cool is to think.. now that we're all getting Free drivers, we want Free firmware.. once we have Free drivers and Free firmware, we might finally put some proper emphasis on CoreBoot.

Comment

as bridgeman said the devs are that good and it is that hard .... but is hasn't happened that fast it has taken years of hard work and dedication to reverse engineer these cards. I just think that should be said as it hasn't been easy for these guys.

Also r600 is pretty advanced too most stuff seems to be working I haven't tried blood frontier again yet but sauerbraten is working and most everything else works even some games in wine though I have encountered a lot that don't yet

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
            I doubt that nouveau is ahead of/more mature than r300g. Last time I tried r300g it was able to play quake-ish games, including Nexuiz. Performance was ok-ish.
            Last I heard the two drivers were about even, the difference is that the r300 driver already mostly works while there is no existing 3d nvidia support. So the bar is a lot higher before the r300g driver can be released.

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
              oh, thanks.
              that's right, my 9600m gs is actually a downclocked 9500 gt, not a 9400.

so i should get reasonable performance. in that screenshot of nexuiz it said 20 fps. that's not bad at all. all of the settings were probably down, but that's still okay.
              i guess we'll just see when Phoronix does benches.
              Nope, all settings stock except OpenGL 2.0 shaders disabled (I think the driver doesn't support them yet, they make it *very* slow). Didn't tweak anything else. It's playable in a 1v1, might be tricky with more players.

(I don't know how fast it runs with the proprietary driver, for comparison, I don't have it installed).

Comment

I have Fedora 12 x86-64 running on my Macbook Pro 4,1 which has an nVidia GeForce 8600M GT [NV50 family: NV84 (G84)].

I fetched the latest Fedora 13 mesa and libdrm packages from koji, and installed them.

Before:
                libdrm-2.4.17-1.fc12.i686
                libdrm-2.4.17-1.fc12.x86_64
                libdrm-devel-2.4.17-1.fc12.x86_64

glx-utils-7.7-3.fc12.x86_64
                mesa-dri-drivers-7.7-3.fc12.i686
                mesa-dri-drivers-7.7-3.fc12.x86_64
                mesa-libGL-7.7-3.fc12.i686
                mesa-libGL-7.7-3.fc12.x86_64
                mesa-libGL-devel-7.7-3.fc12.x86_64
                mesa-libGLU-7.7-3.fc12.i686
                mesa-libGLU-7.7-3.fc12.x86_64
                mesa-libGLU-devel-7.7-3.fc12.x86_64

After:
                libdrm-2.4.17-3.fc13.i686
                libdrm-2.4.17-3.fc13.x86_64
                libdrm-devel-2.4.17-3.fc13.x86_64

glx-utils-7.8-0.16.fc13.x86_64
                mesa-dri-drivers-7.8-0.16.fc13.i686
                mesa-dri-drivers-7.8-0.16.fc13.x86_64
                mesa-libGL-7.8-0.16.fc13.i686
                mesa-libGL-7.8-0.16.fc13.x86_64
                mesa-libGL-devel-7.8-0.16.fc13.x86_64
                mesa-libGLU-7.8-0.16.fc13.i686
                mesa-libGLU-7.8-0.16.fc13.x86_64
                mesa-libGLU-devel-7.8-0.16.fc13.x86_64

Additionally installed:
                (the actual nouveau_dri.so driver)
                mesa-dri-drivers-experimental-7.8-0.16.fc13.x86_64
                (and just for plain testing)
                mesa-demos-7.8-0.16.fc13.x86_64

glxinfo now reports:
                client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
                client glx version string: 1.4
                GLX version: 1.4
                OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
                OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NV84
                OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.8-devel
                OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

ie. success!

and stuff is clearly working (I even turned on Compiz and had the rotating cube for a few minutes), however the system locks up after a while [a few minutes? ie. some time playing around - I got about 2/3 of the way through the mesa-demos before it locked up the first time]. Or rather not the system itself, but just the X server - I can still ssh in over the network, looks like X is burning 100% cpu, can be kill -9'ed, and then acceleration seems to be gone (on the new X server) till reboot.

Tried with both these kernels:
                kernel-2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.x86_64
                kernel-2.6.32.8-48.rc2.fc12.x86_64

I'm guessing though that it's too early to be reporting bugs of any kind (although I'm willing to debug) and furthermore this mixed fc12-fc13 setup is probably _very_ unsupported.

Comment

Not much longer. It's kind of funny though. This really gets us nowhere. But after a few more months of pain then we get to have incredible VM's that are secure with great graphics capability and I can't even imagine what wine is going to turn into. But that is even more waiting. grrrr.

Comment

I download the latest fedora nightly-compose and create a liveusb image. Then I boot it and install mesa-dri-drivers-experimental. 3D is working and compiz is working so smoothly.

However sometimes the desktop hangs on, I can switch to another tty. Later restarting gdm would return to the normal. My card is 8600GT for desktop PC.

Nouveau is so great. I am looking forward to r600g. I have another RV635. Unfortunately, r300g is still waiting.

Comment

I don't think F13 will switch to r300g yet, but I'd expect F14 to use r300g (and r600g).

As far as I am concerned, this is quite a milestone: 3D out of the box (ok, nearly) for 95%+ of PCs. Impressive.

Comment

Working...
                      X