Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Dislike or Hate About Ubuntu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    So breaking things every six months for the sake of it is 'elegant,' nice.
    You might note that every user has different needs of their hardware and software. For example, it's becoming evident that you need a version of reality detached from our own where Linux is at fault for your software not working so you can troll a Linux forum about the "superiority" of Windows design methodology. Or something like that.

Serious question: Why are you even posting here if you hate the Linux ecosystem? We frankly don't need any more hatred and vitriol; you're free to go join "the majority of the planet" whenever you like. Your posts have made it abundantly clear that that's what you prefer.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
      Screw people that don't fit into your support case, right?
      Exactly. Why should someone care about small distros?

It's a vast global conspiracy to disrupt your life.
      Nope, it's messed up windows.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
        According to deanjo, you are lying :P
        Deanjo probably doesn't play in Homeworld or Cataclysm on Win XP with SP3.

Comment

• So breaking things every six months for the sake of it is 'elegant,' nice.
          Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
          You might note that every user has different needs of their hardware and software.
          Wyatt, you may have a point in certain situations but for the majority Linux isn't meant to be upgraded every 6/12/72 months. Upgrading 1700 packages on a server when a new release comes out isn't fun. Forcing upstream and downstream to support outdated packages because Ubuntu and Debian thinks they are stable isn't fun.

Compare that to a rolling release that pushes 5-10 packages a week. IF and only if something breaks out that bad you file a bug report, downgrade until it's fixed and live happily ever after. (with most of the bugs Ubuntu users complain about fixed )

For example, I told a dev that his software isn't compatible with the latest stable version of a library. He doesn't care and that's his right. But why doesn't he care? Is it because Ubuntu ships the two years old version of that lib?

Comment

• Originally posted by roentgen View Post
            Wyatt, you may have a point in certain situations...
            While I'm glad you agree, I'm not sure you entirely caught my drift: You, too, are part of the set of every user. As are companies with heavy server iron, virtualisation junkies, web hosts, FSF Advocates, DNS edge nodes... Every user is different. I actually dislike the Ubuntu release cycle myself (see my earlier post in this thread), and your statements only vindicate its unsuitability for a large swath of users. Hey, look at my profile: I use a rolling-release distro myself and we deal with that sort of stuff frequently (ask flameeyes about his tinderbox testing of new packages sometime).

My point is that, as a user, you have a certain responsibility to find and use the software and hardware that works best for you. Pointing to the greener grass on the other side and complaining to your neighbours about how your lawn is ugly because the green is slightly different is pointless (and, in this particular context, turned into an overly heated argument that has no clear-cut "correct" answer).

Comment

• While I don't know alot about Ubuntu, I know that Linux Mint flat out rocks. Clem does an outstanding job as it could not be more user friendly. I left Windows after buying a laptop with Vista = the WORST tragedy ever done to a computer in my opinion. I have never had so many issues. I may as well have used the bsod as my desktop background. I came to Mint at 7 and have not looked back. Just my .02

Comment

• Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                That is an ironically apt comparison. I had to read a little to realise you weren't joking... Still, got a good laugh out of me. :P
                Well, I'm glad I could make somebody happy in the midst of this slug-fest of a thread. ^^;

I suppose by ironically apt you mean what I said was correct, but not in the way that I might have thought when I wrote it (i.e., they are similar in that they both don't help, or something to that effect), no? Well, I'd be lying if I said that's what I meant when I wrote it, but I can see how you might arrive at that.

Anyway, I don't think I ever said what I dislike or hate about Ubuntu.

...Hmmm, I don't really know. There's not much I dislike about it, I guess. I've had my gripes with it, sure, but I've had as many with other distributions. I guess my biggest gripe would be that it doesn't use systemd yet; if it weren't for that I might still be using Ubuntu. I won't hold that against them, though.

Comment

• I had been using Ubuntu since 8.04 and been quite happy about it for a couple of years.
                  I do not know if it is due to my increased knowledge about linux or the development of Ubuntu, but in the recent year I got this "Windows" feeling about Ubuntu. A bit bloated and rigid, have on several occations tried to update eg. Firefox since a new released came that was not available in the repo, but it always ended very badly.
                  While I hail linux for it freedom, then I feel like a bird without wings in Ubuntu, which have also lead me to make a switch to Arch Linux, one of the best choices I have made.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                    Serious question: Why are you even posting here if you hate the Linux ecosystem? We frankly don't need any more hatred and vitriol; you're free to go join "the majority of the planet" whenever you like. Your posts have made it abundantly clear that that's what you prefer.
                    And you clearly do not use linux for anything apart from the coolness factor, so why are you here?

Comment

• I have been happily using Ubuntu since 6.06.
                      Every subsequent release has been more pleasurable to use than the last, although these days I stick to the .04 releases (they just seem more stable)

I like the design, I love Unity (it's how my desktop was set-up before unity)
                      I love the software centre.
                      I love the way you shove a CD in a PC and it just works (I know, not an Ubuntu thing, that's a gnu/Linux thing)
                      Generally, for my usage pattern (myth, web, email, media, attractive interface), it hits the mark.
                      I like the fact I can put it on other people's machines and they just get it.
                      Most Linux distros, in they're default install, are kinda embarrassing

Maybe my opinion would change if I used it for something harder, like Android development.

Comment

Working...
                      X