Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cairo 1.12 Is A Good Performance Story

Phoronix: Cairo 1.12 Is A Good Performance Story

As I reported earlier this week, Cairo 1.12 was released earlier this week after being in development for the past year and a half. Besides other new features, the performance of Cairo 1.12 should be better than previous releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

1. Where are the benchmarks xrender vs drm vs gl vs gles2/egl vs cairo 1.10?

2. I tried to compile a cairo with a bit more features than the default arch install.
    Each one of the following parameters break the build in its own way:
    Code:
    --enable-drm
    --enable-cogl
    --enable-gl
    --enable-qt
    Is this normal?

Wayland should use the acceleration from glesv2/egl without requiring gl, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
      1. Where are the benchmarks xrender vs drm vs gl vs gles2/egl vs cairo 1.10?

2. I tried to compile a cairo with a bit more features than the default arch install.
      Each one of the following parameters break the build in its own way:
      Code:
      --enable-drm
      --enable-cogl
      --enable-gl
      --enable-qt
      Is this normal?

Wayland should use the acceleration from glesv2/egl without requiring gl, right?
      For 1., read the linked to post. Although he is only using intel gpus, the numbers are interesting (he tests four backends: image, gl, sna, uxa -- sna seems to be the big winner here).

Comment

saying that rendering on the CPU is never worth while is probably a very naive statement. Also when they talk about the ION you have to remember that is an underpowered Atom CPU pared with a relativly overpowered GPU ... so sure for that case it makes sense but that is probably not the most common case. I've never even seen an ION system in real life either O.o plenty Atom netbooks none of them ION though afaik.

Comment

First-generation Ion is rare in netbooks, because the chipset was never designed for notebooks and netbooks. It is quite power hungry. For some time, Ion was popular in nettops, though.

And the second-generation Ion never got popular, for obvious reasons: it's often slower than the first-generation Ion, quite expensive, attached through a very slow bus, and Optimus tends to cause issues (especially on Linux!).

Comment

Working...
          X