Intel Iris Graphics 5100: Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu 14.04 Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnp View Post
    Michael, I think it will be useful to provide benchmark results, using Lubuntu, or Xubuntu with its compositor (special effects) disabled.

To disable the compositor in Xubuntu, you may go to Settings->Settings Manager->Window Manager Tweaks->Compositor->Enable display compositing.

From my experience, one gets the maximum framerate with LXDE and XFCE (with the compositor disabled), on Linux.

Compiz of Unity, etc, reduce performance.

Also, by uninstalling, or disabling buntu's apport (crash reporting tool), programs start faster, and probably run faster.

To disable apport:

sudo nano /etc/default/apport:

enabled=0

and then, reboot.

So, I think some benchmarks with Lubuntu, or Xubuntu (with the compositor disabled), would be interesting.
    See the 6 way benchmarks from earlier in the week.... Unity and compiz no longer have the overhead they once did.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      See the 6 way benchmarks from earlier in the week.... Unity and compiz no longer have the overhead they once did.
      But is still open question - how intel os drivers work on other distros (other kernel&xorg&sof compilation and configuration)?

Comment

Originally posted by anemusek View Post
        But is still open question - how intel os drivers work on other distros (other kernel&xorg&sof compilation and configuration)?
        How come "Intel Haswell HD Graphics 4400 Are Great" but HD Graphics 4600 aren't? What's so different? Also, has there been any benchmarks/comparisons of Intel graphics with AMD APU?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
          How come "Intel Haswell HD Graphics 4400 Are Great" but HD Graphics 4600 aren't? What's so different? ....
          Memory? Too fast to be faster ;P

Comment

Working...
          X