EXT3, EXT4, Btrfs Ubuntu Netbook Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"while Ubuntu 10.04 is using Linux 2.6.32"

For BTRFS it should be nice to test it with its latest code, or at least with 2.6.33-rc8. It's an experimental FS so its important to see its latest improvements. As always phoronix is too ubuntu focus.

Anyway good article, and WOW!! nice BTRFS perfomance!, a compressed btrfs partition results should be interesting to see too!!

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
      "while Ubuntu 10.04 is using Linux 2.6.32"

For BTRFS it should be nice to test it with its latest code, or at least with 2.6.33-rc8. It's an experimental FS so its important to see its latest improvements. As always phoronix is too ubuntu focus.

Anyway good article, and WOW!! nice BTRFS perfomance!, a compressed btrfs partition results should be interesting to see too!!

Regards
      I've already shown 2.6.33 Btrfs benchmarks...

And this request came down from Canonical with interest in how it's running for Ubuntu's kernel.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am repling to my self!! in other article u have done what i am saying! with compressed partition and with 2.6.33 kernel, so forgive me XD

Comment

I find these filesystem comparisions interesting, yet I think they lose some value by only including a type of storage. I don't even know if there are differences in the way filesystems work with SSDs and HDDs, so what I would like is some clarification on this matter. Maybe there are some filesystems that are more suited for SDDs and others for HDDs?

Comment

On page 3 of article:

"When doubling the write size in IOzone to 8GB, EXT4 and Btrfs continued to operate much faster than EXT4."

Should Be:

"When doubling the write size in IOzone to 8GB, EXT4 and Btrfs continued to operate much faster than EXT3."

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
              but i do agree with you that canonical has lost the linux spirit, if they ever even had it..

lately they've just seemed waaayy too money driven.
              That, or they are just trying to find a business model that doesn't include losing money. Kinda like Novell or Red Hat, albeit on a much smaller scale (Canonical is much smaller as a company.)

Interesting comparison. I wonder what the upgrade path from ext4 to btrfs will look like: backup, format, restore? A quick search doesn't bring up anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Hmm? If the kernel team, Novell, or any other major company asked for particular tests to be carried out, I would be happy to run them publicly on Phoronix. It's been done before for Red Hat.
                I believe you were asked to rerun a openSUSE test a while back comparing EXT3 performance with barriers on and off.

Comment

What about git? Can that get added to the test suite?

Comment

Originally posted by RussDill View Post
                    What about git? Can that get added to the test suite?
                    In what regard?
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      In what regard?
                      Timing things like

git fast-import
                      git add/commit
                      git checkout <branch>
                      git gc

With a test repo.