Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D's HUD Gains More Features For R600g, RadeonSI

Phoronix: Gallium3D's HUD Gains More Features For R600g, RadeonSI

The Gallium3D HUD has gain some new reporting capabilities for the Radeon Gallium3D R600 and RadeonSI drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Need a GUI control panel

Enabling the Gallium3D HUD is via setting the query types within the GALLUUM_HUD environment variable.
    Now wouldn't it be nice to:

(1)open the panel
    (2)click the button to turn on HUD
    (3)close the panel
    (4)get the information then
    (5)open the panel and turn off HUD again

All without rebooting or logging off - without the command line, text files or other such config files? I'm all in favor of people having these such tools, but a GUI should be in addition to these.

Can the latest release of radeon-profile do it?

Comment

The Gallium HUD is freaking awesome. I'm insterested in the new actual VRAM usage, along with the existing requested VRAM display.

Personally, I use the HUD with Steam games a lot by putting it in the "launch options" section along with %command%. It's really useful to get actual live readings on things when checking out new graphics driver optimizations. Rather than doing a synthetic benchmark, you can just load up a game and go to an area that has a specific effect that you want to compare. It's cool to be able to see live feedback like this.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
        I've issues with num-bytes-moved, VRAM-usage and GTT-usage. Using latest Mesa-git and Linux kernel 3.14 I get:

Code:
        radeon: Failed to get num-bytes-moved, error number -22
        radeon: Failed to get vram-usage, error number -22
        radeon: Failed to get gtt-usage, error number -22
        These were added in 3.15.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
          [...]
          Can the latest release of radeon-profile do it?
          No, it can't, but when I first read about this feature, the idea of implementing it crossed my mind. You know, select gallium_hud options, select binary click run and have fun. The problem is radeon-profile run as root, so the app launched by it will be root too, which is bad. I'm working (sloowly...) on daemon running as root and UI as normal user but I have nothing to show right now (I'm stuck and little time to resolve problems). But when we have UI in normal user mode, this is nice feature to have it in.

Comment

Thank you very much! A few more questions:

Are VRAM-usage and GTT-usage system wide usage? And what's their unit? Mega bytes? or percentage?
            Bytes, and it's system-wide.

What is num-bytes-moved supposed to report in plain english?
            It's the number of bytes moved by TTM when relocating buffers. The relocations most often happen when there is not enough VRAM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Enabling the Gallium3D HUD is via setting the query types within the GALLUUM_HUD environment variable.
              Small typo here, it's GALLIUM_HUD.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                Bytes, and it's system-wide.
                So in theory I could use this to monitor a possible VRAM leak in long-running OpenCL processes (bfgminer) which eventually crash out... Just need to run glxgears or something with the HUD along-side... Or just write a program to query the kernel through libdrm, which sounds like work..

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                  So in theory I could use this to monitor a possible VRAM leak in long-running OpenCL processes (bfgminer) which eventually crash out... Just need to run glxgears or something with the HUD along-side... Or just write a program to query the kernel through libdrm, which sounds like work..
                  Yeah, you can query it from any program and you should be able to see memory leaks easily.

Comment

Does having the Gallium3D HUD enabled have an effect on in-game performance? In my limited testing it seemed to have an impact, but I have no way empirically testing that.

Comment

Working...
                    X