Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBMC 13.0 Gotham Beta 1 Released

Phoronix: XBMC 13.0 Gotham Beta 1 Released

The first beta of the upcoming XBMC 13.0 "Gotham" multimedia HTPC software is available with a load of new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They're still doing beta releases with that release?

Comment

Still? It's beta 1.

Comment

It's sad that it takes so long. For example RaspBerry Pi is a great HTPC with CEC support. Too bad Raspberry distros like OpenELEC still use the old XBMC version. If it takes too long to get stable Gotham, people lose interest in RPi as HTPC and buy closed source Android dongles.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          It's sad that it takes so long. For example RaspBerry Pi is a great HTPC with CEC support. Too bad Raspberry distros like OpenELEC still use the old XBMC version. If it takes too long to get stable Gotham, people lose interest in RPi as HTPC and buy closed source Android dongles.
          RPi isn't directly open... It's certainly not more open than any Android dongle.
          Also it's not suited as an HTPC.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
            RPi isn't directly open... It's certainly not more open than any Android dongle.
            You must be joking? RPi + XBMC supports out-of-the-box (assuming you have the $10 dongles):

Video formats: MPEG2, H.264 (1080p high profile), several others I don't remember
            Audio formats: MP3, OGG, FLAC, Airplay, DD, DTS and so on
            HTPC standards: CEC, DLNA
            I/O: SDHC, USB2, 100 Mbps ethernet, HDMI, analog audio. Bluetooth, Wifi 802.11n, SPDIF via $10 dongles

How exactly are the other Android HTPC dongles any better?

Comment

Get an allwinner based android dongle and you can have opensource bootloader, opensource video decoder and opensource GPU driver!

While it's not 'out of the box' ready to do an xbmc build, the sunxi community is working hard to make that happen. So yeah, certain sticks are very interesting.

But as always, developers wanted!

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                Get an allwinner based android dongle and you can have opensource bootloader, opensource video decoder and opensource GPU driver!

While it's not 'out of the box' ready to do an xbmc build, the sunxi community is working hard to make that happen. So yeah, certain sticks are very interesting.

But as always, developers wanted!
                So it's not better yet. The lack of distro is a major blocking issue. After that is fixed, does it have CEC? If it has, it probably wins RPi. Before that happens, RPi rules the semi-free cheapo market. That's just how it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                  Broadcom published their documentation for their SoC. Soon we'll see opensource drivers.
                  The first guy running quake III on rapi with free drivers wins 10 000$.
                  I use my RaPi as HTPC every day.
                  Its great and does work flawlessly with 5.1 surround sound and very comfortable handling by my remote control (TV -> libCEC).
                  I have access to 2TB videos pictures over my NAS (these days you can attach a big hdd at every router ...).

So please tell me: Why is the rasp not suited as HTPC. And why is XBMC 13 optimized for RaPi?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    And why is XBMC 13 optimized for RaPi?
                    I suppose there are more and more optimization for the GUI part. It uses OpenGL now but the VideoCore is faster if you develop against it directly. RPi GUI still needs more CPU power than RPi when playing airplay (it decodes aes256) or h.264 1080p. So.. the GUI part could be faster. It could be a lot faster in other ways too, but RPi is probably the slowest HTPC available so they're not interested in hand tuning assembly.

The only thing I find slow with RPi is media library syncing and maybe rewinding could be faster.

Comment

Working...
                    X