Ubuntu's Unity Next Running On Mir Display Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
    WTF? The Mir I tried doesn't even seem to support cursors or keyboard input. All the keyboard input that I type into a Mir server goes straight through the tty, and launches all windows at 0,0!

I wonder if they're doing something funky like xmir or something
    Keyboard input: https://code.launchpad.net/~robertca.../+merge/155368

No cursor support yet I think, however they don't claim something like that either.
    Isn't placing windows a job for the shell, not for the display server?
    And as Unity next still is phablet only no window placing have been done yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ultimA View Post
      The cons:
      1. This demo is using Mir for composition. Don't mix that up with being the display server.
      2. If I were to write a compositor (or display server) that can handle client applications, the first thing I would definetely demo is the ability to open some windows and interact with them. The fact that this is not demonstrated here means that it is (probably) not yet working. In the end, I don't think this is a lot to show.

The pros:
      1. They did show something. Even if not much, and it didn't take long after the initial announcement. This might mean they have a good pace (though given this is their first demo and that they've been working on Mir for many months now, we will only know definetely if we observe the future frequency of such updates).
      2. They showed something not on desktop, but on mobile. For me, this means they're integrating mobile support as a first-class citizen, which with time could easily become a real advantage.

Time will tell if Mir is a good or bad thing.
      I'm not sure why you're trying to read tea-leaves here; Mir is (now, finally) developed in the open. You can read our blueprints on Launchpad. You can read the code and merge requests. You can run it on your system. There's really no reason to try to read deeply into the videos posted by Mir developers of their code doing something cool. You could just find out

It's also not our first demo? I demoed XMir+LightDM+mir-system-compositor on Intel and ATI a couple of months ago. But that's fairly boring, because it looks just like a regular X session.

Originally posted by przemoli
      Since Mir heavily relay on Surface code base, Canonical had head-start on mobile.
      Um, what? There's no SurfaceFlinger code in Mir. We do have a fork of some of the Android input stack in there, but that's going to be used on the desktop too.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        Mir will kick wayland's ass like a boss!
        After reading nvidia's slides about porting games to Linux I think it's quite possible. They stated it's much easier to port games to Android when you port them to Linux first. While MIR supports Android drivers it seems to be a logical choice to focus on it. Personally I prefer Wayland, but practically I think MIR will be more important.

Comment

Originally posted by tacco
          Mir is running great!!!!!Probably Wayland will suck! Wayland, is it a watse of time? Nothing happened! Please Wayland, shout down!!!!!!!!
          I really hope you are just trolling, because words cannot describe the idiocy of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
            I really hope you are just trolling, because words cannot describe the idiocy of this post.
            Like all trolls, they very often make little sense. You often end up with incoherent twat babble.

Maybe Mir will gain traction, who knows. I just know Conanical's track record doesn't favor their ambition at all. So until we arrive lets not jump off the train.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              And Mir is DISPLAY SERVER, if it run without SurfaceFinger than it's doing work of display server too.
              Of course it is. I didn't say it's not. I said that it wasn't used as the dispaly server in this demo yet.

Comment

Man all the anti MIR rhetoric has really quieted down since I last checked the forums. Now all I see are ubuntu fanboys :-P

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  After reading nvidia's slides about porting games to Linux I think it's quite possible. They stated it's much easier to port games to Android when you port them to Linux first. While MIR supports Android drivers it seems to be a logical choice to focus on it. Personally I prefer Wayland, but practically I think MIR will be more important.
                  I don't see how that will matter. Game devs will just target SDL, i doubt they'll see much if any difference between Wayland and MIR - assuming both projects work out ok.

Comment

Meh. Not impressed here. Mir is a horrible idea. They should have used wayland, now they're just building a system that will be incompatible with all the other distros. They're building walls around themselves. Ubuntu is no longer a part of the linux ecosystem.

Comment

is my bet... at the earliest, provided they crank on Mir fulltime w/at least a 4-5 men (solid) team.

Comment

Working...
                      X