Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Forks WebKit As Blink Rendering Engine

Phoronix: Google Forks WebKit As Blink Rendering Engine

Just earlier today was word that Mozilla is developing Servo, a new web-browser engine, and now comes a similar action out of Google. The search giant announced this afternoon they are forking the WebKit code-base for their Chrome/Chromium web-browser to form the "Blink" engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool!

This definitely is interesting news!
    I look forward to a rendering-engine with less legacy-bloat of the old days having been mainly with Apple and Safari. There is no need to refer to how big of a step it was to remove the old Apple-style-span.

In this regard, getting rid of 4.8 million lines of more or less relevant code (I guess rather the latter, being architecture-specific) will have its merits.
    Last edited by frign; 03 April 2013, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Opera will be contributing to Blink as well (source).

Comment

What the fsck did they cut!? 4.5Million lines of Code? Jesus H Christ o.o
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          What the fsck did they cut!? 4.5Million lines of Code? Jesus H Christ o.o
          It is not actually 4.5 million lines of code or 7000 files of code, WebKit is nowhere near that big. They are counting the deleted test-results for other ports. The layout-test and tests-result make up around 95% or all data in the webkit repository.

Comment

So it's a fork of a fork. I wonder if Apple is going to complain about how bad forks are.
            Last edited by TheBlackCat; 03 April 2013, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
              There is no need to refer to how big of a step it was to remove the old Apple-style-span.
              Glad it is dead, this made me ban Safari as a web browser in an all Mac environment because of how badly it behaved with WYSIWYG. Back then Safari also had a tendency to crash when undoing or just randomly.

Comment

prefix?

So now we need to use a -blink- prefix and the -webkit- prefix with all CSS3 "statements"? Or what will happen?

Comment

no prefixes

They aren't going to have a prefix. If something's not ready then they're going to hide it behind an "enable experimental features" button, but it will always use the non-prefixed form.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                    They aren't going to have a prefix. If something's not ready then they're going to hide it behind an "enable experimental features" button, but it will always use the non-prefixed form.
                    Sounds good . Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X