Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The AuroraUX Operating System Is Dead

Phoronix: The AuroraUX Operating System Is Dead

While figuring out what niche operating systems to benchmark on Phoronix next, I realized the AuroraUX operating system project quietly disappeared...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AuroraUX source code or documentation

Too bad that very interesting open source projects are abandoned
    I am interested in Ada programming language and software written in this language.
    Does anyone know a mirror for the OS, source code or documentation or anything related to the AuroraUX OS? Linux or Solaris ports.
    Unlike closed source software, any dead open source code can be ressurected and brought back to life after many years.
    Mention that Google did not find anything relevant.

Comment

I must have missed this one - Why can't more people seem to get along with Ada? It isn't just a dead pascal copy... it's actually... well, very good!

Comment

It was a very interesting idea, but perhaps a bit overambitious. For example, I believe they planned to write their own X server in Ada, even if they could get it working in a reasonable time frame, would it have made much of a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by philcostin View Post
          Why can't more people seem to get along with Ada? It isn't just a dead pascal copy... it's actually... well, very good!
          Object orientation is possible but a bit strange. Maybe this will get better with the next version of the standard...

GUI bindings... Well, there is gtkada...

Comment

Originally posted by philcostin View Post
            I must have missed this one - Why can't more people seem to get along with Ada? It isn't just a dead pascal copy... it's actually... well, very good!
            Ada and Pascal are terrible if compared to C++11

Comment

FPC

Old Pascal (of N. Wirth) is considered obsolete. A new version could be Frepascal, a clone of Delphi FreePascal/ObjectPascal. Fpc is a mature compiler.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
                Old Pascal (of N. Wirth) is considered obsolete. A new version could be Frepascal, a clone of Delphi FreePascal/ObjectPascal. Fpc is a mature compiler.
                Free Pascal still needs much longer source code to implement same functionality than C++11.

Comment

It would have been nice a DesktopManager/WM/FileManager written in ADA + necessary tools and other user-space programs, in top of Linux/Solaris or BSD kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                    Free Pascal still needs much longer source code to implement same functionality than C++11.
                    From what I know, even Qt still does not use all the features of new C++11 standard.

Comment

Working...
                    X