Crytek Showing Off CryEngine On Linux At GDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    Then let me rephrase my question: how much time can CryEngine save you compared to using other tools? I am betting it must be saving enough time to justify the price of the license.
    Maybe a little. Or nothing.
    Also there's a learning curve and the way the artist like to do things.

For me, i prefer doing things on hand. It has more liberty to make things the way you want.
    The hardest parts are making the story, models and animations.
    Programming on engines are like prisons!

Comment

Originally posted by amagnoni View Post

For me, i prefer doing things on hand. It has more liberty to make things the way you want.

Care to show off some AAA titles you've made with your apparently bare hands ?

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
        Care to show off some AAA titles you've made with your apparently bare hands ?
        One person will never make an AAA game alone. Even with the most modern engine available.
        PM me and i send you a link.
        Now i am writing an animation. Even that i don't want to make all alone. I will die before complete.

Comment

Originally posted by amagnoni View Post

I agree that programming on engines are like prisons, but you won't be able to produce AAA titles without powerful tools for the artists that integrate well with the game in a way that is optimized and allows the artists to work independently. In the end, the advantages artists gain from engines far exceed the limitations imposed on the programmers.

Comment

Okey, I need some explanation. I'd like someone who really understands all this to explain, please, in plain english: how is this going to affect end-user, or, maybe better, how will this look on the screen ? What I mean is, for example, Blizzard's WoW has OpenGL support but when you force it, it looks nothing like Windows DX11 game. Valve's games on Linux (OpenGL) look almost identical to Windows counterpart (on DX I guess). I really don't know what is OpenGL and DirectX, how they interfere with drivers, how much driver support for Linux is lagging behind the Windows, etc. In the end, what I want to know, when we all see those beautiful demos from CryENGINE, will they look the same and perform the same on Linux as they do on Windows (in time, I mean) ? Can a game that uses OpenGL look as beautiful as when using DX ?
            Btw. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I'm totally confused by all this and would like some clarification on this subject. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by pbCyanide View Post
              when we all see those beautiful demos from CryENGINE, will they look the same and perform the same on Linux as they do on Windows (in time, I mean) ?
              We'll see that as soon as it's released.
              Can a game that uses OpenGL look as beautiful as when using DX ?
              Yes.

Comment

Can a game that uses OpenGL look as beautiful as when using DX ?
                Yes
                The real question that you should ask is did they do it with opengl 3.3 or did they use open gl 4.x .

Comment

Originally posted by pbCyanide View Post
                  Okey, I need some explanation. I'd like someone who really understands all this to explain, please, in plain english: how is this going to affect end-user, or, maybe better, how will this look on the screen ? What I mean is, for example, Blizzard's WoW has OpenGL support but when you force it, it looks nothing like Windows DX11 game. Valve's games on Linux (OpenGL) look almost identical to Windows counterpart (on DX I guess). I really don't know what is OpenGL and DirectX, how they interfere with drivers, how much driver support for Linux is lagging behind the Windows, etc. In the end, what I want to know, when we all see those beautiful demos from CryENGINE, will they look the same and perform the same on Linux as they do on Windows (in time, I mean) ? Can a game that uses OpenGL look as beautiful as when using DX ?
                  Btw. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I'm totally confused by all this and would like some clarification on this subject. Thank you.
                  Yes, a game can look as beautiful on OpenGL as it does on DX. You can look up some graphics comparisons between the two on youtube to realize the quality is pretty much identical.

In terms of driver support it depends on your hardware. If you use nVidia GPUs then yes, the driver is up to date and the games should look as good as they do on Windows. If you use AMD, then not so much. The AMD driver supports the latest OpenGL version but it is buggy and lagging in performance. This is of course using binary drivers. Open source drivers are lagging in OpenGL version. For example, the AMD open source driver supports up to version 3.3 whereas the binary driver is at 4.3.
                  Last edited by sarmad; 11 March 2014, 09:11 PM.

Comment

I agree that programming on engines are like prisons, but you won't be able to produce AAA titles without powerful tools for the artists that integrate well with the game in a way that is optimized and allows the artists to work independently. In the end, the advantages artists gain from engines far exceed the limitations imposed on the programmers.
                    I agree with you in some parts.
                    But the people forgot that even with a engine they need a good programmer making the things look right.
                    Always i read someone pleasing about a new hyper tech engine release. But without learning how to code well they only install the engine and didn't make anything.
                    And even with a great graphic they still need a excellent gameplay. And gameplay we can do without any graphic.

Comment

In terms of driver support it depends on your hardware. If you use nVidia GPUs then yes, the driver is up to date and the games should look as good as they do on Windows. If you use AMD, then not so much. The AMD driver supports the latest OpenGL version but it is buggy and lagging in performance. This is of course using binary drivers. Open source drivers are lagging in OpenGL version. For example, the AMD open source driver supports up to version 3.3 whereas the binary driver is at 4.3.
                      OpenGL 3.3 isn't that bad, it's more or less equivalent to D3D10.

Comment

Working...
                      X